Note: This post contains affiliate links for more information read our policy here
When we travel with Disney we’re usually on the lookout for 2 things. Amazing desserts and awesome coffee or tea. Actually, we’re usually on the lookout for those 2 things everywhere we go. You’d be surprised how many places disappoint when it comes to good coffee and treats, so we’re always happy to find one that surprises us, like this little town did last year.
Tiana’s Place Mickey Latte
Needless to say we’re hardly ever disappointed by Disney. With the newly opened Tiana’s Place restaurant on the Disney Wonder Cruise we were adamant about all ordering different items on the menu so we could properly review the offerings. Luckily, I got to try the Mickey Cinnamon Latte, a perfect treat alongside Tiana’s homemade Beignets, and have been insistent on sharing this recipe with you since we returned from our trip.
How to Build A Drink
It’s important to realize that a latte is mostly milk. That said the base of the drink can be whatever you want and it can still be called a latte.
Drink Base Options: 1 shot espresso, 1 bag chai tea, 1 bag black tea + cinnamon + nutmeg, 4oz coffee, 4oz dandelion or chicory root coffee.
For the picture above I steeped two bags of Vanilla Chai Tea ( Bigelow) in about 4oz milk ( heated) and added another 2oz. boiling water. Let this sit until it’s a warm caramel color.
Drink Milk Options: Almond Breeze unsweetened is always my preference, but regular dairy milk or coconut milk work well too.
For the recipe below you should have all these ingredients in your pantry on a regular basis.
Latte Technique: Okay, so it’s way easier to create foam and a nice thick cream for your coffee if you have a French press. We love love love this mini Alice in Wonderland French press that we got at Walt Disney World. You can get it at Amazon if you don’t have a coffee press on hand.
- Heat 1 cup of your choice of milk in a small saucepan.
- Add 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Add 1/4tsp. cinnamon ( optional)
- Once heated and lightly bubbling ( not boiling), remove from heat and pour into French press.
- Place lid on French press and pump the press until the milk doubles in size. It actually happens very quickly.
6. Once pumped and frothy, remove the press lid.
7. Prepare your base. At this point you can grab your mug and add the espresso, dandelion, chicory OR chai.
8. As you begin to pour the milk into your mug ( on top of your base), use a spoon to hold back the foam.
9. Last, add the rest of the foam.
10. Reach for the Cinnamon.
I used a paper straw to help the cinnamon get where it needed to go. You take a straw and get a little cinnamon in it. Then balancing the straw on the edge of the mug you tap the straw to let just a little cinnamon out at a time. It’s much easier to make the Mickey Art if you have some control over where the cinnamon goes.
Also, the foam will help keep the mickey head in place. Seriously, even after I carried this drink into another room, and drank some of it, my Mickey head was still in tact.
Cinnamon Latte Ingredients:
Base Drink : Your choice of hot beverage ( tea, coffee ) Brew/Steep in 4-6oz milk or water
Latte: 1 c. almond or coconut milk (Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened)
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon ( optional)
2 tbsp. light brown sugar
Ground Cinnamon for Mickey Art
1. In a small saucepan combine milk, cinnamon, and brown sugar until bubbly, but not boiling.
2. In a large mug add the espresso or tea bag to the boiling water.
3. Remove saucepan from heat and pour milk mixture into French coffee press.
4. Pump the press until froth forms, then pour onto base drink, using a spoon to hold back foam, then add foam last.
5. Pour some cinnamon into a straw and lightly tap straw on edge of mug to make your cinnamon mickey art.
Mickey Cinnamon Espresso or Chai Latte
Copycat Recipe. Spruce up your afternoon espresso or tea with Mickey courtesy of the Disney Wonder's new restaurant Tiana's Place.
- 4oz. boiling water
- 2 tsp. instant espresso powder or 1 bag chai tea
- 1 c. almond or coconut milk (Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- Ground Cinnamon for Mickey Art
- Step 1 In a small saucepan combine milk, cinnamon, and brown sugar
- Step 2 In a large mug add the espresso or tea bag to the boiling water.
- Step 3 Remove milk mixture from heat and pour into French press to pump into froth and pour over base drink.
- Step 4 Using a straw filled with a little cinnamon create a large circle for the head and two small round ears. Do this quickly and lightly so as not to have clumps of cinnamon in your drink.