If you’re visiting Walt Disney World in 2019, you’re in for a treat! While many are holding off until the construction is over, because there is a lot of construction, 2019 promises quite a few new things you will definitely want to enjoy during lower crowds. Disney even has a new logo for the year: “Now More than Ever! With new resorts, restaurants, services, shows and rides, Walt Disney World has a whole list of upcoming changes planned for 2021, the official 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World. And so far it seems 2019 will see some big projects finished and couple fun shows added to the mix to keep things fresh. Here’s everything you’ll need to know if you’re visiting Walt Disney World in 2019.
Ok, so if you haven’t visited Walt Disney World in the last couple years, you may not realize all the new things that have actually already arrived!
New Things at Walt Disney World Now
The now more than ever countdown is just the beginning for all things 2019 at Disney Parks. It pretty much aims to offer guests surprise pop-up experiences and new magical surprises all year!
Pandora: World of Avatar is open in Animal Kingdom and still seeing 120 minute waits for Fight of Passage. This is a Tier 1 fast pass ride, so be sure to book it as soon as your fast pass window opens. If you haven’t seen this land yet, Pandora is amazing and perfectly themed to the World of Avatar. Even if you’re not familiar with Avatar the movie, you will still appreciate the breathtaking landscape that Disney has created here. We make sure to visit Pandora every time we visit. The food is great, the rides are great and it’s amazing at night.
Toy Story Land is officially open in Hollywood Studios. And while this new land is loads of Toy Story fun, we aren’t seeing hardly any waits here. We’re going to blame it on the fact that Hollywood Studios is sorta empty. Apart from the afternoon rush on the Slinky Dog Dash roller coaster where we typically see a 75 minute wait, it’s easy to arrive early and have waits under 30 minutes. Alien Swirling Saucers is another new ride in this land, but waits have been lower there as well.
- Toy Story Land Restaurants, Rides and More
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Woody’s Lunch Box Quick Serve
Big Changes Coming to Walt Disney World 2019
Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge: Planned to open in late fall 2019, Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge will include new rides, restaurants, shopping and a completely immersive experience for Star Wars fans. Read our guide for what you can expect. We’re figuring this will open mid to late November 2019 as Disney was quite behind on the construction for this new land. You can find Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge right next to Toy Story Land on 14 acres of land in Hollywood Studios. If you’re visiting earlier in 2019, you need only walk into Toy Story Land to see the spires from Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge peering over the construction fencing. Come the end of 2019 we expect Hollywood Studios to be flooded with Star Wars fans.
- Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge Rides, Restaurants and More
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run Ride
- Rise of the Resistance Ride
- Cantina Quick Serve
- Cantina Table Service Immersion Restaurant
New Services Coming to Walt Disney World 2019
Disney Skyliner Transportation System: For guests staying at Art of Animation, Pop Century, or Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort a new gondola transportation system will be in place by Fall 2019, allowing guests to avoid buses to get to both Hollywood Studios and Epcot. This Gondola system will hopefully help thin bus crowds and car traffic and give guests a faster and prettier transportation option to these parks.
Walt Disney World also recently introduced Mobile Ordering at select restaurants, Minnie Van transportation courtesy of Lyft, and the ability to unlock your room door with the My Disney Experience app on your phone.
New Rides Coming to Walt Disney World 2019
Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway: Replacing The Great Movie Ride and located in the Chinese Theater at Hollywood Studios this ride will allow guests to enter a cartoon world like none we’ve ever experienced at Walt Disney World before. Bringing Mickey and Minnie front and center, we’ll also see Goofy in this ride, as the wacky train conductor who goes a little haywire and causes the whole train to experience all sorts of craziness as it weaves in and out of multiple scenes.
This ride is supposedly “trackless” so we’re excited to see what kind of fun awaits. This ride is slated to complete by Fall 2019. Want a sneak peak? The Mickey Mouse short Nature’s Wonderland features the runaway train and situation we may find ourselves in as parts of this ride! Check out the video.
New Restaurants Coming to Walt Disney World 2019
Sebastian’s Bistro: Replacing the Shutters Restaurant at Caribbean Beach Resort, Sebastian’s Bistro will be a table service restaurant with waterfront views in true Little Mermaid style. This restaurant is completed! Read our review of Sebastian’s Bistro. As Caribbean Beach Resort is acting as the hub for the Disney Skyliner system, guests will be able to take the Skyliner gondola from Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Art of Animation, or Pop Century to access this restaurant easily.
Disney Resort Construction to Complete in 2019
Resort Refurbishments will be going on for several resorts at Walt Disney World, so be aware if you’re staying at any of the following that you may be inconvenienced by or hear construction during your stay. Know that at some of these resorts, construction is still affecting Disney bus transportation times, so plan ahead.
- Animal Kingdom Lodge- Jambo House thru fall 2019
- Art of Animation is being refreshed and has Disney Skyliner construction on site, located on the bridge over hourglass lake leading to Pop Century Resort.
- Boardwalk Inn has some light refurbishments but shouldn’t interfere with guest stay
- Caribbean Beach Resort construction should wrap up by Summer 2019, along with the gondola. This timeline is rumored.
- Coronado Springs has construction of a 15 story tower called the Gran Destino Tower, currently onsite alongside other renovation projects. Expected to open July 2019.
New Shows and Character Meets Coming to Walt Disney World 2019
- Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy: Starting spring of 2019, you can find the Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy near the Rock n’ Roller Coaster in Hollywood Studios. This will be a brand new show featuring an opportunity to meet both Lightning McQueen and Cruz Ramirez. We’re not sure if this is a permanent installation yet.
- The Lion King Hakuna Matata Time Dance Party: 2019 marks the 25th anniversary of The Lion King, and with that comes a new dance party in Animal Kingdom! Found on Discovery Island, the dance party will run from January 18- September 30 and will feature Simba, Timon and Rafiki.
- Move It! Shake It! MousekeDance It! Street Party: Replacing the Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play It Street Party in Magic Kingdom, this new party will feature Mickey, Minnie and other characters dancing to popular Mickey Mouse Club remixes. The party starts January 18 in Magic Kingdom and will include merchandise, and themed food and beverages as well! We’ve never seen these extras offered for a street party so we’re interested to see how
- Mickey and Minnie’s Surprise Celebration: features meet and greets with Minnie and Mickey in the Town Square Theater, new foods, merch and a dance party.
- Walt Disney Presents featuring Mike and Sully: Starting January 18 our favorite friends from Monsters Inc will take center stage in a new Meet and Greet area at Walt Disney Presents theater next to the Star Wars Launch Bay.
- Hollywood Studios 30th Anniversary: The Hollywood Studios name change is coming! May 1st marks the anniversary of Hollywood Studios so special things will be happening all over the park. From January 18- September 30, Pixar Place will be transformed into a Municiberg city block featuring appearances from Elastigirl, Mr. Incredible, Jack-Jack, Edna Mode, and Frozone.
- Wonderful World of Animation: Another feature in Hollywood Studios this year is the new show debuting May 1st. This show will use state of the art technology as guests are brought through the 90 year journey of Disney Animation Studios.
Visiting Walt Disney World in 2019
So there you have it! All the major things happening at Walt Disney World during 2019. What do you think? Will it be worth it to visit Walt Disney World in 2019? We definitely think so!