The Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary Changes by 2021 are VAST! If you haven’t been to Walt Disney World in the last few years you are in for some big surprises! With changes in ALL 4 theme parks, and refurbished resorts, plus new services so much is changing! This includes things as big as new lands, and as small as new character meet and greets. Apart from all the planning now needed to make the most of your trip, you’ll also see new Disney Rides, Disney Restaurants, Shows and Lands. Plus, you’ll also see some of your favorite things retire.
- 1 Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary and the COVID Pandemic
- 2 Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary Plans
- 3 What is Happening for Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary?
- 4 Changes Coming to Walt Disney World for the 50th Anniversary
- 5 Magic Kingdom Changes for 2021
- 6 Hollywood Studios Changes for 2021
- 7 Epcot Changes for 2021
- 8 Animal Kingdom Changes for 2021
- 9 Disney Resort Changes for 2021
- 10 Walt Disney World Changes Park Wide 2021
- 11 Disney Cruise Line Changes
- 12 Disney Springs Changes
- 13 Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Changes 2021
- 14 Disney World 50th Anniversary RUMORED Enhancements
Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary and the COVID Pandemic
We’ve been keeping track of all the changes in the works to complete at Walt Disney World by 2021. With the changes at Disney During the Pandemic there are a few things to be aware of up front. Obviously, we don’t know if the pandemic will be “over” by the time the 50th Anniversary arrives, so we’ll share what we know so far!
Have Disney World 50th Anniversary Plans Changed due to the Pandemic?
If you’re planning to visit Walt Disney World in 2021 there are many things that have changed. From a shorter dining reservation window, to the temporary suspension of fastpasses, and the required Disney Park Pass Reservations be sure to check out all the ways Planning for a Disney Vacation in 2021 is Different.
And then of course there is the larger question of Should you Visit Walt Disney World During the Pandemic? In this post we’re sharing 13 questions you can ask yourself to see if visiting Walt Disney World in 2021 is a good idea for you. Thankfully, since the 50th Anniversary celebrations will most likely run through all of 2022 or longer, you have plenty of time to experience this once in a lifetime event.
And if you want to know how your Disney Vacation is Affected by the COVID Pandemic in Florida, read about all the Changes at Walt Disney World in place from now until September 26, 2021, including all the UPDATED Disney Face Mask Rules.
Will the Disney World 50th Anniversary be Delayed?
Disney During the COVID Pandemic and the reality that many projects stopped when the parks closed will affect the 50th Anniversary. Take a look at the status of Disney Construction Projects for 2020 at Walt Disney World. These changes after closing of the Disney Parks will no doubt have an effect on the ability to complete some projects by deadline. BUT, know that many of the major projects are still moving forward. TRON, Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind, Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure and even Woody’s Roundup Rodeo Restaurant are all set to open sometime during the 50th Anniversary Celebrations. See the lists of everything on the way in each park below.
When Can you Book Walt Disney World Packages for 2021?
Disney tickets and packages for 2021 are available NOW! As long as your departure date is before September 26, 2021. Incidentally, that date is aligned with other important changes at Walt Disney World. The current Disney Parks Pass Reservation system is set to be in place until September 26, 2021 as well. Check out current Disney ticket prices on the website. Be sure to read our post about Walt Disney World in 2021 and everything you should know before you go. In addition to the changes due to the pandemic, there were already construction projects, shows, new restaurants and more planned for 2021 at Disney World.
Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary Plans
With Walt Disney World making significant changes every year to meet demand and continue challenging Universal Studios, even more changes have arrived in preparation of the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney World in 2021. Here’s everything you can expect for The Most Magical Celebration on Earth in 2021.
We’re breaking this down by park, in list style. Hopefully this will give you a good idea of EVERYTHING happening at all 4 Disney Parks, Resorts and property-wide. This includes the construction that is most recent, replacement rides, new restaurants and everything planned for Disney’s 50th Anniversary celebrations. This post is updated regularly and will reflect projects that have been affected by the 2020 closing of Walt Disney World. Scroll the post for a list of items that are new ( and have recently retired) per park, the new logo, the new pink Cinderella Castle and everything you need to know.
When is the Disney World 50th Anniversary?
The “official” 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World is October 1, 2021.
But never fear! We won’t have to wait that long Disney anniversary celebrations to start. Previous anniversary celebrations have lasted a full 15 months, and while we don’t know a starting date yet we could see this celebration lasting 18-24 months simply due to the early delays that may affect the The World’s Most Magical Celebration.
How Long will Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary Last?
History has shown that the start date for Walt Disney World anniversary celebrations happens a couple months prior. If we had to guess, we’d say plan for August 2021 as a potential starting month for the Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary and November or December 2022 for the anniversary activities to end. As a result, you have plenty of time to make your way to Disney for the 50th anniversary in 2021.
When’s the Best Time to go to Walt Disney World for the 50th Anniversary?
Ok guys, we’ll be honest about this one. 2020 has seen so many changes, and this will surely delay some construction we’ve been waiting on. And as Disney crowds go, as soon as the celebration dates are announced you can just plan on it being booked and probably crowded. So we’re going to stick to some tried and true Disney Pro Tips on this one. We like visiting the times of year that are least crowded, least expensive and with the best weather. Read our post about the Cheapest and Most Expensive Times to visit Walt Disney World, to get a clearer picture.
Following the crowds and pricing history we’d say in 2022; January- February, the first week of March, the third week of September and mid October to the week before Thanksgiving. Any of these times in 2022 would probably be the best times to visit. Packages for 2022 won’t even release until Summer 2021, so you have plenty of time to think it over.
What is Happening for Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary?
Along with all the changes in entertainment, rides, restaurants and services, we also get a new Logo and an Event Name. The anniversary happenings are called “The World’s Most Magical Celebration.” Complete with 50th Anniversary Disney Snacks, Merchandise, and temporary events across the parks. Much like we saw the Incredible Summer in 2018, we’d expect special events available for a limited time throughout the anniversary year. We’ll be sharing the Official Walt Disney World Plans in a separate post once they are announced.
Will Walt Disney World do anything special for the 50th Anniversary?
ALL FOUR THEME PARKS are getting updates! We share everything that’s on the way in each Disney Park as part of the 50 magical enhancements by the 50th below. Disney will also release special edition buttons, pins, merchandise, snacks, and more. 2021 marks the Anniversary of Walt Disney World as a whole, and Magic Kingdom Park, which officially opened back on October 1, 1971. The Contemporary Resort. Fort Wilderness Resort and Campgrounds and The Polynesian Resort and Villas are also celebrating their 50th anniversaries in 2021, so we’ll be sure to see specialty merchandise and something special for those resorts too.
Will Cinderella’s Castle Change for the Disney World 50th Anniversary?
YES! You can now see Cinderella’s Castle in all it’s Rose Gold glory! Cinderella’s Castle has ALWAYS gotten a face-lift for the Disney Anniversary Celebrations. And since this year marked the 70th Anniversary of Cinderella, the castle just got a new rose gold paint job! Complete with golden accents honoring the “Golden Anniversary” of 50 years.
New Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary Logo Reveal
The Disney World 50th anniversary, named The World’s Most Magical Celebration even gets a NEW Logo filled with sparkles alongside strong purple, blue and pink hues no doubt honoring some of the more recent color trends at Disney. Imagination pink, Purple potion, and Unicorn colors have been merchandise darlings this past year and are clearly represented in the new mood board for the 50th Anniversary Celebration.
Changes Coming to Walt Disney World for the 50th Anniversary
As part of Disney’s 50 Magical enhancements before the 50th, we’ve been tracking all the comings and goings of rides, restaurants and shows at all 4 Walt Disney World parks, Disney Resort changes, and new services. Check out everything happening in our lists here.
Magic Kingdom Changes for 2021
- Splash Mountain is being re-themed as Princess and Frog. Per Disney Parks Blog.
- Disney Characters set to be added to It’s a Small World Ride by 2021. Similar to Disneyland’s Version.
- Introduction of the Hub Grass in front of Cinderella’s Castle, for lounging and dessert parties.
- Wreck it Ralph Attraction to replace Stitch’s Great Escape by 2022
- Skipper Canteen Jungle Cruise Restaurant comes to Adventureland
- Happily Ever After Fireworks Show replaces Wishes
- Not So Spooky Spectacular Halloween Fireworks debut 2019 at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party
- PeopleMover Refurbishments coming, including new areas and scenes within the ride
- Walt Disney World Railroad refurbishment
- Tomorrowland Re-imagining to match white and blue Tron Lightcycle theme and new Entrance sign.
- Carousel of Progress Updates
- Instagram darling, The Purple Wall, is refreshed with geometric graphics.
- TRON Lightcycle Roller Coaster completion in 2022 in Tomorrowland
- New Castle colors completed in honor of Cinderella’s 70th Anniversary.
What’s Cancelled at Magic Kingdom?
- Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor October 2020
- Main Street Citizens October 2020
- Move it Shake it MousekeDance It! Street Party October 2020
- Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire October 2020
- Royal Merry Makers Cut
- Muppets: Great Moments in History Cut
- Hallowishes Fireworks Show Retires
- Wishes Fireworks Show Retires
- The Main Street Electrical Light Parade retired 2018
- Stitch’s Great Escape Closed 2018
- Magician Mickey Character Meet and Greet no longer includes a “talking Mickey”
- Move it, Shake it, Dance it, Play it Parade retired 2019
- Captain Jack’s Pirate Tutorial retired 2018
Hollywood Studios Changes for 2021
Hollywood Studios has been under construction for about two years. With quite a bit still to do, Hollywood Studios and Epcot are the parks that will have the biggest changes going into the 50th Anniversary in 2021.
- Disney Society Orchestra Debuts August 2020, replacing Beauty and the Beast on Stage
- New park logo debuts in 2019 for 30th anniversary
- “Studio” Parking lot names are replaced by character names, preparing to remove studio themeing of park.
- Fantasmic is refreshed 2017
- Additional Star Tours storylines added for a possibility of 26 different ride experiences
- Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge open Aug 29,2019. Land open in phases.
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run Ride: A new ride with simulations similar to Star Tours that allows guests to “control” the ride together.
- Rise of the Resistance Ride exceeds expectations, a boarding pass system is in place to accommodate crowds. Here’s how to get a Rise of the Resistance boarding pass.
- The Galactic Datapad App is in Disney Play for immersion experience and gaming
- Galaxy’s Edge New Restaurants and Shops
- Toy Story Land opens June 2018
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway debuted at the Chinese Theater March 4, 2020
- Mickey Shorts Theater opened March 2020
- Star Wars Galactic Nights show debuts 2017
- Grand Avenue is created as walkway to Galaxy’s Edge
- Baseline Tap House added on Grand Avenue
- Introduction of the Sunset Seasons Greetings show at Christmas
- Lightning McQueen’s Race Academy intermittently open
What’s Cancelled at Hollywood Studios?
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular Show October 2020
- Jedi Training Academy October 2020
- Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage October 2020
- Green Army Men Drum Corps October 2020
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid October 2020
- Star Wars A Galaxy Far Far Away stage and show are removed Feb 2020
- Meet and Greet with Toy Story 4 Bo Peep cancelled Feb 2020
- New Mike and Sully Meet and Greet in the One Man’s Dream building cancelled Feb 2020
- Citizens of Hollywood street show scaled back, some street shows retired.
- The Great Movie Ride closes
- Wonderful World of Animation Nighttime Show debuts for 30th Anniversary Closed late 2019
Epcot Changes for 2021
Epcot is getting a major overhaul. The biggest news to come out of the D23Expo 2019 was that Epcot would be transformed and demolish Innoventions West to create new spaces aligned with four new areas of the park; World Celebration, World Discovery World Nature and World Showcase. The new four sections of Epcot create experiences aligned to different universal themes. Read about the full changes to Epcot here.
- Epcot name is officially changed back to EPCOT (Feb 2020)
- Choza de Margarita, a permanent outdoor food kitchen, is added to Mexico
- Interactive Play Pavilion in Wonders of Life Building planned for 2021
- Addition of Journey of Water with Moana based theme to include waterfalls and interactive experiences in World Nature scheduled for 2022
- Regal Eagle Smokehouse Craft Drafts & Barbecue replaces Liberty Inn in the American Adventure Pavilion
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is an indoor “storytelling” Rollercoaster that catapults guests into space backwards and allows 360 control of the coaster car. Completion planned by 2022
- Olaf’s Holiday Tradition Expedition Scavenger Hunt game debuts at Festival of Holidays 2020
- Le Creperie de Paris. Authentic French Creperie is announced for Epcot France anticipated 2020
- Awesome Planet, a new movie arrives at The Land Pavilion replacing Circle of Life in 2020
- Frozen Ever After replaces Maelstrom
- Takumi Tei, an artisan Japanese restaurant, opens 2019
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure in France anticipated completion 2021
- Space 220 Restaurant opens in Future World (soon to be World Discovery) to be located next to Mission Space. Completion TBD
- The Spike the Bee Pollen-Nation scavenger hunt game is introduced at Flower and Garden Festival 2018
- Epcot Forever is in interim evening digital show over the lake in World Showcase, opened Oct 1, 2019.
- Epcot evening show HarmonioUs set to debut late 2020 to replace Epcot Forever.
- Wondrous China, is the new China CircleVision film to replace old film in China, Epcot.
- Canada Far and Wide, CircleVision is the new Canade 360 film premieres with Festival of the Arts 2020
- Mary Poppins Attraction to open in Epcot in UK by 2021 indefinitely delayed or cancelled.
- Soarin’ Update happened in 2016 changed to Soaring Around the World
- Beauty and the Beast Sing Along opens January 2020
- Spaceship Earth Refurbishment indefinitely delayed or cancelled.
- International Festival of the Arts debuted in January 2017, now an annual art festival at Epcot
- World Celebration is the planned entrance name for Epcot to transition before 2022
What’s Cancelled at EPCOT
- Voices of Liberty October 2020
- Chip and Dales Christmas Tree Spree Game is Replaced October 2020
- Innoventions West to be demolished
- Ellen’s Universe of Energy closes.
- Leave a Legacy walls came down at Epcot Spring 2019
- Liberty Inn Restaurant in America, Epcot closes July 8, 2019
- Circle of Life with Timon and Pumba closes at The Land building
- Maelstrom is refurbished with Frozen theme in Frozen Ever After
- Starbucks in Epcot Plaza and Club Cool not closing but relocated during renovation
- Illuminations: Reflections of Earth night time show retires 2019
Animal Kingdom Changes for 2021
If you haven’t visited Pandora: World of Avatar at Animal Kingdom yet, know that this land’s popularity has ranked Animal Kingdom in the #2 most popular theme park spot, second to Magic Kingdom. Lots of people, lots of awesome, lots going on.
- Pandora, World of Avatar Opens Spring 2017
- Flight of the Banshee, consistently still seeing 120-180 minute waits 3 years after opening.
- Na’vi River Ride
- Satuli Canteen Quick Service
- Pongu Pongu Counter Service
- Feather Friends in Flight debuts August 2020, replacing UP! A Great Bird Adventure
- Tiffin’s Restaurant opens in 2017
- Tree of Life Awakenings evening digital show opens, with seasonal overlays
- Introduction of Kevin, from Up as wandering character at Animal Kingdom
- Donald Duck’s Birthday Bash takes on a potentially permanent setup in Dinoland
- Addition of New Christmas at Animal Kingdom Offerings, including large animal marionettes and digital show arrives in Animal Kingdom in 2019.
- Animal Kingdom After Hours now offered for late night park time.
What’s Cancelled at Animal Kingdom?
- Pandora Utility Suit (Mech Suits) October 2020
- Festival of the Lion King October 2020
- Finding Nemo – The Musical October 2020
- Rivers of Light We Are One night show debuts in 2019. Permanently Closed 2020
- Up! A Great Bird Adventure replaced August 2020
- Primeval Whirl Permanently Closed Summer 2020
- Rafiki’s Planet Watch Conservation Center closes 2018. Intermittently open.
- Flights of Wonder Closes, replaced by Up! A Great Bird Adventure.
- Animal Kingdom’s parade is removed from the programming schedule
- Primeval Whirl set to intermittent operations.
Disney Resort Changes for 2021
One of the biggest ways Disney is meeting the needs of more guests is by upgrading current resorts and establishing new resorts. Disney resorts are and have been going under refurbishment or scheduled to before the 2021 deadline.
- Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort CLOSED The DVC Rooms, gits shops and main lobby remain open.
- Celebrating it’s 50th Anniversary in 2021 as well, The Polynesian Village Resort is getting a Moana inspired facelift with a new Monorail station area, room refurbishments and a fresher color scheme. Most of this project is set to complete by Summer 2021.
- Refurbishments begin at Saratoga Springs 2020
- Grand Floridian Re-Imagining in progress.
- Removal of Disney’s Grand Floridian Society Orchestra form the resort entertainment. Last day is Oct 3, 2020.
- Victoria and Albert’s Bistro, replaces Citrico’s Restaurant at the Grand Floridian may complete by end of 2021.
- Enchanted Rose Lounge replaces Mizners Lounge The Beauty and Beast inspired Bar and Lounge at Grand Floridian opens Fall 2019
- The Coronado Springs Gran Destino Tower Refurbishment completed in 2019
- Disney Riviera Resort and Villas opens as a new DVC property Dec 16, 2019
- Topolino Terrace, a rooftop restaurant atop Riviera opens now.
- Topolino Terrace Character Breakfast Mickey’s Breakfast a la Art debuts as the best new character dining experience.
- Star Wars Immersion Resort 2-night, 3 day experience on the Galactic Starcruiser under construction. Reservations available late 2020.
- Caribbean Beach Resort construction completes December 2018
- Sebastian’s Bistro opens as Caribbean Beach’s new Table Service Restaurant.
- Coronado Springs adds Toledo’s Restaurant, on the rooftop. Read the Toledo Review.
- Three Bridges Waterside Bar and Grill at Coronado Springs opens Summer 2019
- Magic Kingdom to Grand Floridian Bridge The broken walkway from Magic Kingdom that leads to the Grand Floridian is set to be connected providing another option for walking guests to avoid the monorail or buses. Completion in 2020.
- Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge resort begins construction on River Country Water Park site, located between Fort Wilderness campgrounds and Wilderness Lodge 2022.
- Princess and the Frog Restaurant to open at Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge
Walt Disney World Changes Park Wide 2021
At all four parks Disney has done things to connect, make things easier and offer new experiences. The transportation efforts have been to offset huge crowd increases. See our 5 rules to keep from getting locked out if the parks it maximum capacity.
- Dessert Parties and special viewing areas are added for most evening shows, available at an additional cost.
- Park to Park Bus Service begins at Walt Disney World late 2019
- New Bus Fleet arrives, with usb charging ports in the seats
- Disney Skyliner Gondola stations are available at Disney’s Art of Animation/ Pop Century Resorts, Disney’s Riviera Resort, Epcot International Gateway, and Hollywood Studios Main Gate. Disney Skyliner Gondola Transportation System opens September 29, 2019. Read the Review.
- Disney Club 33 locations at Walt Disney World are revealed.
- All 4 Disney Parks now serve alcohol with meals
- Minnie Van Service available for guests at all Disney Resorts
- Artificial Intelligence Bag Check Scanners Debut at Hollywood Studios Aug 2020
- Disney Genie App supposed to debut in 2020 to help streamline planning experiences including both Dining and Fast Pass Reservations, offering a complete Disney Vacation experience crafted specifically for you.
- Implementation of the Disney Park Pass Reservation System to accommodate 2020 needs as a result of the closure. Use planned until at least September 26, 2021.
- Ample Hills Creamery closes on the Disney Boardwalk June 2020
Disney Cruise Line Changes
Disney Springs Changes
Now a fairly upscale shopping and restaurant experience Disney springs is continually adding amazing things to the non-park day experience. Disney Springs has been morphing ever since it stopped being Downtown Disney. We love that you don’t have to pay admission or have a ticket to the parks to enjoy Disney Springs. And that the Disney buses still bring you there! Here’s some of the new things.
- Stitch’s Holiday Gift Hunt is replaced in 2020
- Cirque de Soleil announces Drawn to Life, a new show highlighting Disney Storytelling and a familiar score to immerse guests in Disney Magic at the Cirque de Soleil location in Disney Springs March 2020. Read for more details.
- Cookie Dough Food Truck opens by September 2019
- Beatrix, neighborhood restaurant, coffee house and market open by 2020
- Wolfgang Puck Bar and Grill opens
- Jaleo, a new Spanish restaurant featuring tapas opens
- City Works Eatery and Pour House featuring craft beers is set to open Winter 2019
- Chicken Guy, Guy Fieri’s quick serve restaurant opens, makes our Best Quick Serve Restaurants at Disney Springs list.
- Pepe by Jose Andres opens
- Sunshine Churros Kiosks opens Aug 2019
- World of Disney store is refurbished
- New Mac and Cheese Food Truck
- NBA Experience opens Aug 12, 2019
- Everglazed Donuts & Cold Brew to arrive in 2020
- Gideon’s Bakehouse serving cookies, cake slices and coffees. Opening in 2020
Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Changes 2021
If you haven’t been to Walt Disney World in the last few years you may not have gotten a chance to do your own DIY planning via the My Disney Experience app, have a go at fast pass booking ( p.s. its not on paper anymore), or experience the joy of magic bands! Here’s the big planning changes we’ve seen. And if you need a fresh look at how to do the whole planning thing check out our 12 step post.
- Read all the ways Planning Your Disney Vacation Will Change amidst the COVID pandemic
- Introduction of Magic Bands as identifier for park ticket, resort key, and fast pass band.
- And announcement that Disney is Replacing MagicBands.
- Introduction of more streamlined Fast Passes. , FP+ was temporarily(?) suspended in 2020.
- Disney Parks Pass Reservation System introduced for 2020 and 2021
- A stricter Disney Planning Timeline for Restaurant and Fast Pass reservations.
- The My Disney Experience App gets an overhaul in summer 2018 with interaction between family members planned, as well potentially being able to unlock your resort room with the app.
- Rise of the Resistance Virtual Queue Introduced at Galaxy’s Edge
- Mobile Order arrives at 40+ Restaurants across the parks for mobile food pick up so you don’t have to wait in line.
Disney World 50th Anniversary RUMORED Enhancements
Given the current climate and general delays due to the 2020 closing of Walt Disney World, we could hazard a guess that most of these will NOT be completed by the 2021.
Magic Kingdom Rumored Changes
- New Night Parade
- New Anniversary Fireworks Show
- Walt Disney World Railroad – new scenes
- Carousel of Progress – new scene
- Big Thunder Mountain – new special effects added
- Jungle Cruise – new scenes
- Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse – refurbishment
- Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room – refurbishment
- Astro Orbiter – refurbishment
EPCOT Rumored Changes
- New World Showcase Country- Brazil has been rumored to be taking the spot between Italy and Germany and opening in 2022.
- Journey Into Imagination- re-imagining
Hollywood Studios Rumored Changes
- Tower of Terror – new special effects added
Animal Kingdom Rumored Changes
- Expedition Everest –refurbishment and fixes