With Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary comes changes in all four parks, resorts, Disney Springs, and more! Even new services are in the works. And if you haven’t been to Walt Disney World in the last few years you are in for some big surprises! This includes things as big as new lands, and as small as new Disney character experiences. Check out all the Changes at Walt Disney World in All Four Parks. New Rides, Restaurants, Resorts, and everything retiring along the way! We’re keeping a running LIST of all the Walt Disney World Changes.
- 1 Magic Kingdom Updates and Changes
- 2 Hollywood Studios Updates and Changes
- 3 Epcot Park Updates and Changes
- 5 Animal Kingdom Updates and Changes
- 6 Disney Resorts Updates and Changes
- 7 Walt Disney World Changes Park Updates and Changes
- 8 Disney Springs Updates and Changes
- 9 Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Updates and Changes
Magic Kingdom Updates and Changes
Magic Kingdom is probably Walt Disney World Resorts’ most beloved theme park. And as such, with over 25 rides, spectacular shows, parades, and a slew of restaurants, there’s a lot that may or may not be the same, since last you were here.
Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary at Magic Kingdom: “Cinderella Castle illuminates the park with a dazzling glow that sparkles with pixie dust.”
- Main Street Cinema debuts the Disney Vault Collection 50 Shopping Experience October 1, 2021
- Monsters Inc Laugh Floor at Magic Kingdom returns August 8, 2021
- Disney Enchantment Fireworks Show debuts on October 1, 2021.
- This new Fireworks show is a combination of pyrotechnics, lighting, fireworks, and enhanced projection lighting that will stretch down Main Street USA.
- New Projection Lighting on Cinderella’s Castle
- Tomorrowland Makeover
- A new Pixar’s Coco scene is coming to Mickey’s PhilharMagic on October 1, 2021
- Mickey’s Celebration Cavalcade tours the park at random.
- New Park Entrance refurbishments.
- Disney’s After Hours Boo Bash debuts August 2021.
- New character Costumes for Minnie, Mickey, Donald Duck, and Daisy Duck, Goofy and Pluto, and Chip ‘n’ Dale. These are the MAIN Disney characters that will be part of the 50th Anniversary celebrations.
- Cinderella Castle refurbishments with 50th-anniversary medallion, buntings, and gold accents.
- Splash Mountain is being re-themed as a Princess and the Frog Ride, Tiana’s Bayou Adventure Opening Late 2024
- Disney Characters are set to be added to It’s a Small World ride by 2022. Similar to Disneyland’s version.
- Introduction of the Hub Grass in front of Cinderella’s Castle, for lounging and dessert parties.
- Wreck-it Ralph Attraction to replace Stitch’s Great Escape in 2023.
- Skipper Canteen Jungle Cruise Restaurant comes to Adventureland.
- Happily Ever After Fireworks Show replaces Wishes. The Happily Ever After Fireworks Show Retires September 29th, 2021.
- Not So Spooky Spectacular Halloween Fireworks debut 2019 at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party
- PeopleMover Refurbishments Complete in July 2022
- Walt Disney World Railroad Refurbishment and new scenes, Complete in July 2022.
- Carousel of Progress Updates, Complete in July 2022.
- Instagram darling, The Purple Wall, is refreshed with geometric graphics, Galactic Purple Wall.
- TRON Lightcycle Roller Coaster in Tomorrowland, Opening April 4, 2023
- Jungle Cruise – new scenes
What’s Cancelled at Magic Kingdom?
- Happily Ever After Fireworks Show Retires September 29, 2021.
- Sorcerer’s of the Magic Kingdom Suspended January 2021
- Main Street Citizens October 2020
- Move it Shake it MousekeDance It! Street Party October 2020
- Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire October 2020
- Royal Merry Makers Cut
- Muppets: Great Moments in History Cut
- Hallowishes Fireworks Show Retires
- Wishes Fireworks Show Retires
- The Main Street Electrical Light Parade retired 2018
- Stitch’s Great Escape Closed 2018
- Magician Mickey Character Meet and Greet no longer includes a “talking Mickey”
- Move it, Shake it, Dance it, Play it Parade retired 2019
- Captain Jack’s Pirate Tutorial retired 2018
Hollywood Studios Updates and Changes
Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary at Hollywood Studios: “The iconic Hollywood Tower Hotel glitters with EARidescence, evoking the glimmer and shimmer of the golden age of imagination and adventure.”
- Wonderful World of Animation at Hollywood Studios returns August 1, 2021
- Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage at Hollywood Studios returns August 15, 2021
- New park logo debuts in 2019 for 30th anniversary
- “Studio” Parking lot names are replaced by character names, preparing to remove studio theming of park.
- Fantasmic is refreshed 2017
- Additional Star Tours storylines added for a possibility of 26 different ride experiences
- Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge opens on August 29, 2019. Land open in phases.
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run Ride: A new ride that allows guests to “control” the ride together.
- Rise of the Resistance Virtual Queue Introduced at Galaxy’s Edge
- The Galactic Datapad App is in Disney Play for immersion experience and gaming
- Galaxy’s Edge New Restaurants and Shops
- Toy Story Land opens June 2018
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Woody’s Lunch Box Quick Serve
- Woody’s Roundup Rodeo BBQ Restaurant Opening 2023
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway debuted at the Chinese Theater on March 4, 2020.
- Mickey Shorts Theater opened in March 2020.
- Baseline Tap House was added on Grand Avenue.
- Introduction of the Sunset Seasons Greetings shows at Christmas.
- Lightning McQueen’s Race Academy is intermittently open.
What’s Cancelled at Hollywood Studios?
- Jedi Training Academy October 2020
- Green Army Men Drum Corps October 2020
- Star Wars A Galaxy Far Far Away stage and show are removed Feb 2020
- Citizens of Hollywood street show scaled back, some street shows retired.
- The Great Movie Ride closes
Epcot Park Updates and Changes
Epcot is getting a major overhaul. The biggest news to come out of the D23Expo was that Epcot would be transformed and demolished Innoventions West to create new spaces aligned with four new areas of the park; World Celebration, World Discovery World Nature, and World Showcase. The new four sections of Epcot create experiences aligned to different universal themes. Read about the full changes to Epcot here.
Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary at EPCOT: “Lights shine from within Spaceship Earth’s reflective panels as stardust emerges to symbolize beacons of possibility and optimism.”
- EPCOT Communicore Plaza and Hall Open Late 2023
- Epcot Forever Returns Temporarily in April 2023.
- World Celebration renovations include new EPCOT Gardens, CommuniCore Plaza, and Communicore Hall, 2023
- Club Cool Renovation Open 2021
- New Creations Shop in Epcot, replaces MouseGear.
- Connections Cafe ( and Starbucks) Open 2022.
- Turtle Talk with Crush at EPCOT returns August 21, 2021
- NEW Epcot Neighborhoods
- New Projection Lighting on Spaceship Earth
- Dreamers Point Statue
- New Entrance Refurbishment with pylons
- Epcot name is officially changed back to EPCOT (Feb 2020)
- Choza de Margarita, a permanent outdoor food kitchen, is added to Mexico
- Interactive Play!Pavilion in Wonders of Life Building. Date open TBD.
- The addition of Journey of Water with a Moana-based theme to include waterfalls and interactive experiences in World Nature. Opening 2022.
- Regal Eagle Smokehouse Craft Drafts & Barbecue replaces Liberty Inn in the American Adventure Pavilion
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is an indoor “storytelling” Rollercoaster that catapults guests into space backward and allows 360 control of the coaster car. Open May 27, 2022
- Olaf’s Holiday Tradition Expedition Scavenger Hunt game debuts at Festival of Holidays 2020
- La Creperie de Paris. Authentic French Creperie is announced for Epcot France Open October 1, 2021.
- Awesome Planet, a new movie arrives at The Land Pavilion replacing Circle of Life in 2020
- Frozen Ever After replaces Maelstrom.
- Takumi Tei, an artisan Japanese restaurant, opens 2019
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure in France Open October 1, 2021
- Space 220 Restaurant opens in Future World (soon to be World Discovery) to be located next to Mission Space. Opening September 20, 2021
- The Spike the Bee Pollen-Nation scavenger hunt game is introduced at Flower and Garden Festival 2018
- Harmonious Nighttime Spectacular to replace Epcot Forever October 1, 2021.
- Wondrous China, is the new China CircleVision film to replace the old film in China, Epcot
- Canada Far and Wide, CircleVision is the new Canada 360 film premieres with Festival of the Arts 2020
- Soarin’ Update happened in 2016 changed to Soaring Around the World
- International Festival of the Arts debuted in January 2017, now an annual art festival at Epcot.
What’s Cancelled at EPCOT
- Reflections of China Retires December 1, 2021.
- Epcot Forever Retires on September 28, 2021. Returns Temporarily in April 2023.
- Chip and Dales Christmas Tree Spree Game is Replaced October 2020
- Innoventions West to be demolished
- Ellen’s Universe of Energy closes.
- Leave a Legacy walls came down at Epcot Spring 2019
- Liberty Inn Restaurant in America, Epcot closes July 8, 2019
- Circle of Life with Timon and Pumba closes at The Land building
- Illuminations: Reflections of Earth nighttime show retires 2019
Animal Kingdom Updates and Changes
If you haven’t visited Pandora: World of Avatar at Animal Kingdom yet, know that this land’s popularity has ranked Animal Kingdom in the #2 most popular theme park spot. Second only to Magic Kingdom. Lots of people, lots of awesome, lots going on.
Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary at Animal Kingdom: “A warm and glorious light emanates from the Tree of Life, as enchanted fireflies gather to call forth the magic of nature.”
- Disney KiteTales
- This daytime show features 3-D kites flying through the air. At 30 feet long, some are shaped like our favorite Disney Characters including Simba, Zazu, Baloo, and King Louie. Open October 1, 2021. Last performance is September 30, 2022.
- New Projection Lighting on the Tree of Life
- Pandora, World of Avatar Opens Spring 2017
- Flight of the Banshee, consistently still seeing 120-180 minute waits 3 years after opening.
- Na’vi River Ride
- Satuli Canteen Quick Service
- Pongu Pongu Counter Service
- Feather Friends in Flight debuts August 2020, replacing UP! A Great Bird Adventure
- Tiffin’s Restaurant opens in 2017
- Tree of Life Awakenings evening digital show opens, with seasonal overlays
- Introduction of Kevin, from UP! as a wandering character at Animal Kingdom
- Donald Duck’s Birthday Bash takes on a potentially permanent setup in Dinoland
- The addition of New Christmas at Animal Kingdom Offerings, including large animal marionettes and digital show, arrives in Animal Kingdom in 2019.
- Animal Kingdom After Hours now offered for late-night park time.
What’s Cancelled at Animal Kingdom?
- Pandora Utility Suit (Mech Suits) October 2020
- Finding Nemo – The Musical October 2020
- Rivers of Light We Are One show debuts in 2019. Permanently Closed 2020
- Up! A Great Bird Adventure replaced August 2020
- Primeval Whirl Permanently Closed Summer 2020
- Rafiki’s Planet Watch Conservation Center closes 2018. Intermittently open.
- Flights of Wonder Closes, replaced by Up! A Great Bird Adventure.
- Animal Kingdom’s parade is removed from the programming schedule
- Primeval Whirl closed March 2022.
Disney Resorts Updates and Changes
One of the biggest ways Disney is meeting the needs of more guests is by upgrading current resorts and establishing new resorts. Disney resorts are and have been going under refurbishment or scheduled to before the 2021 deadline.
- Disney’s BoardWalk Inn to welcome The Cake Bake Shop by Gwendolyn Rogers in 2023.
- ESPN Club Restaurant Permanently Closes.
- New coffee bar in the lobby of Disney’s Boardwalk Inn in 2023.
- The Wave at Disney’s Contemporary Closes, Replaced by Steakhouse 71 October 1, 2021.
- The Incredibles Rooms at Disney’s Contemporary Resort are available Fall 2021.
- Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort refurbished to Moana Theme in 2021
- The Walt Disney World Swan Reserve Hotel open on November 3, 2021.
- BoardWalk Ice Cream opens at Disney’s Boardwalk to replace Ample Hills Creamery in Summer 2021
- Refurbishments begin at Saratoga Springs 2020
- Grand Floridian Re-Imagining in progress.
- Removal of Disney’s Grand Floridian Society Orchestra from the resort entertainment. The last day is Oct 3, 2020.
- Citricos revamped to a Mary Poppins Returns-themed restaurant.
- Victoria and Albert’s Bistro set to replace Citrico’s Restaurant at the Grand Floridian. Date TBD.
- Enchanted Rose Lounge replaces Mizner’s Lounge The Beauty and Beast inspired Bar and Lounge at Grand Floridian opens Fall 2019
- The Coronado Springs Gran Destino Tower Refurbishment completed in 2019
- Disney Riviera Resort and Villas opens as a new DVC property Dec 16, 2019
- Topolino Terrace, a rooftop restaurant atop Riviera opens now.
- Topolino Terrace Character Breakfast Mickey’s Breakfast a la Art debuts as the best new character dining experience.
- Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser Immersion Resort 2-night, 3-day experience on the Galactic Starcruiser. It Opens on March 1, 2022.
- Caribbean Beach Resort construction completes December 2018
- Sebastian’s Bistro opens as Caribbean Beach’s new Table Service Restaurant.
- Coronado Springs adds Toledo’s Restaurant, a new signature rooftop dining.
- Three Bridges Waterside Bar and Grill at Coronado Springs opens Summer 2019
- Magic Kingdom to Grand Floridian Walkway completed in 2020.
- Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge ( Project May Be Canceled) resort begins construction on River Country Water Park site, located between Fort Wilderness campgrounds and Wilderness Lodge.
- Princess and the Frog Restaurant ( Project May Be Canceled) to open at Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge
- California Grill 50th Anniversary Special Menu: Available for a limited time, this special experience offers a throwback to the original 1971 menu when the resort and restaurant opened. This experience costs $89 per adult and $39 per child and reservations are required. Check out all the details for California Grill’s 50th Anniversary Dining Experience.
Walt Disney World Changes Park Updates and Changes
- 50th Anniversary Golden Statues are added to all four parks.
- Dessert Parties and special viewing areas are added for most evening shows, available at an additional cost.
- Park to Park Bus Service begins at Walt Disney World in late 2019
- New Bus Fleet arrives, with usb charging ports in the seats
- Skyliner Gondola stations are available at Disney’s Art of Animation and Pop Century Resorts. And Disney’s Riviera Resort, Epcot International Gateway, and Hollywood Studios Main Gate. Disney Skyliner Gondola Transportation System opens on September 29, 2019.
- Disney Club 33 locations at Walt Disney World are revealed.
- All 4 Disney Parks now serve alcohol with meals
- Minnie Van Service available for guests at all Disney Resorts
- Face Recognition for entry begins testing at Disney Parks
- Artificial Intelligence Bag Check Scanners Debut at Hollywood Studios Aug 2020
- Ample Hills Creamery closes on the Disney Boardwalk June 2020
- Magic of Disney store location opening with the South Terminal Complex at Orlando International Airport in 2022.
- Disney Institute releases 50 Years of Magical Learning for an interactive way to explore 5 decades of Dreaming and Doing.
Disney Springs Updates and Changes
Now a fairly upscale shopping and restaurant experience Disney springs is continually adding amazing things to the non-park day experience. Disney Springs has been morphing ever since it stopped being Downtown Disney. We love that you don’t have to pay admission or have a ticket to the parks to enjoy Disney Springs. And that the Disney buses still bring you there! Here are some of the new things.
- Meta Quest Virtual Reality Experience arrives in May 2022.
- AristoCrepes CLOSED March 2022. It has been replaced by Swirls on the Water.
- Salt and Straw Ice Cream is slated to arrive in Disney Springs in 2022.
- Wondermade Marshmallows Opens serving specialty marshmallows April 2021
- Christmas Tree Stroll debuts in 2020.
- Cirque de Soleil announces Drawn to Life, a new show highlighting Disney Storytelling and a familiar score to immerse guests in Disney Magic at the Cirque de Soleil location in Disney Springs. Date Open TBD. Read for more details.
- Cookie Dough Food Truck opens by September 2019
- Beatrix, neighborhood restaurant, coffee house, and market open by 2020
- Wolfgang Puck Bar and Grill opens
- Jaleo, a new Spanish restaurant featuring tapas opens
- City Works Eatery and Pour House featuring craft beers is set to open in Winter 2019
- Chicken Guy, Guy Fieri’s quick-serve restaurant opens, makes our Best Quick Serve Restaurants at Disney Springs list.
- Pepe by Jose Andres opens
- Sunshine Churros Kiosks opens Aug 2019
- World of Disney store is refurbished
- New Mac and Cheese Food Truck
- NBA Experience opens on Aug 12, 2019. NBA Experience CLOSED permanently in March 2020.
- Everglazed Donuts & Cold Brew opened in January 2021
- Gideon’s Bakehouse opens in 2021 serving cookies, cake slices, and coffees.
Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Updates and Changes
If you haven’t been to Walt Disney World in the last few years you may not have gotten a chance to do your own DIY planning via the My Disney Experience app, have a go at fast pass booking ( p.s. its not on paper anymore), or experience the joy of magic bands! Here are the big planning changes we’ve seen. And if you need a fresh look at how to do the whole planning thing check out our 12 step post.
- MagicBand+ Debuts July 27, 2022.
- Disney’s Magical Express retires at the end of 2021.
- Disney’s MagicMobile Wallet Service was introduced for Apple devices first in 2021.
- Read all the ways Planning Your Disney Vacation Will Change
- Introduction of Magic Bands as identifiers for park tickets, resort keys
- Disney Genie App planning service offers a complete Disney Vacation experience crafted specifically for you.
- Fastpasses replaced by Lightning Lane Options.
- And the announcement that Disney is No Longer Offering MagicBands for FREE.
- Implementation of the Disney Park Pass Reservation System in all four parks.
- A stricter Disney Planning Timeline for Restaurant reservations shifts from 180 days out to 60 days before your vacation.
- The My Disney Experience App gets upgraded to unlock your resort room with the app.
- Mobile Order arrives at 40+ Restaurants across the parks for mobile food pick up so you don’t have to wait in line.
Changes at Walt Disney World for the 50th Anniversary
Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary is in full swing from October 2021- March 2023. Check out all the plans for the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney World. And if you’re interested in some of the changes over at Disneyland, check out the Disneyland section of our blog.
12 thoughts on “Walt Disney World Changes in All Four Parks”
Great list! With all the new changes when do you think it best to take a second trip – I like to go at the least busiest times
Typically the best times are around Jan-Feb and again August-October. Both of these times in 2019/2020 should be OK crowd wise, because a lot of people are either going to wait for Star Wars Galaxy Edge to open late November and go then, or skip 2020 altogether and just plan their “big trip” in 2021 when the anniversary festivities are in full swing and all the new stuff is open.You never can tell with the crowds, but these months do tend to be the lowest each year.
Looking at a family holiday for the anniversary 2021. Dilemma.. Do I being them over in the April May when it’s good weather and the crowds are not manic or wait till the Oct when the anniversary kicks in but the crowds will be UNBEARABLE??
Hey Paula! We think the whole year of 2021 is gonna be pretty busy! Celebrations actually start late 2020 in preparation for the 50th Anniversary, so we’d say base it on the weather or the ride you most want open. Waiting until October 2021 may not get you more of an advantage than going in May. We don’t know exact open dates for the big rides like Ratatouille, or Tron, but by May 2021 Runaway Railway will be open, Star Wars Land will be complete and the Guardians of the Galaxy Ride will be done. Ratatouille is slated for a late 2020 opening rumored right now. The only ride you may have to wait until October for will be Tron. Hope that helps!
Hi, you said Star Wars was three months behind schedule – does that mean we’re still looking at a Fall 2019 opening? We’re planning our first ever trip for Feb 2020 and Star Wars is high on the list of must-dos!
Hey Adele! So at this point, Galaxy’s Edge has been pushed back to open in “late” fall, which leaves it pretty vague. We anticipate it will open after a series of soft openings, so by your trip in February 2020, we’re guessing the crowds will be a tiny bit lower than the first couple of months after opening and hopefully they will have a lot of the bugs worked out by then!
Congratulations on your future and first ever trip. Regardless of when you go you going be amazed. Don’t rush and just let yourself sink into the Magic!!
I apologize if this has been answered already, but planning on going for the big 50th celebration in May, would that be too early? I keep hearing October. Are the celebrations starting in October? Or year round?
Hey Amanda, the 50th Anniversary Celebrations for Walt Disney World start October 1, 2021, and runs until March 2023.
I met Disney in Orlando in 2019 and I’m already looking forward to going back to see what’s new for 50 years.
Is Mickey not so scary holloween on for next year 2021
And the meet and greets back on to for next year
And you missed jurassic park rollar coaster and princess and the frog turning from splash mountain and tron when will that be all done next year ?
Hey Heather. Thanks for the check in. So, we don’t know any of these details yet. The Jurassic Coaster is Universal Studios so not included in this post. Splash Mountain changing to Princess and the Frog is on the list under the Magic Kingdom section, but since that was a recent announcement from Disney and not confirmed to actually be done by the 50th Anniversary we haven’t included additional information because a construction date has not yet been set by Disney World. As soon as we get a confirmed planned date we’ll be sure to add it here. Same goes for TRON. It’s on the list under Magic Kingdom but again no tentative date for Tron opening has been set- we only know it was one of the original projects to be completed by the Oct 1, 2021 date, but with the closing this year we haven’t heard any additional news on when it will open. We do, however, expect Tron to be open by the Oct 1 2021 date as originally planned as this is their flagship anniversary project and will most likely draw the biggest crowds. And for meet and greets and Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party, we also cannot say. The change of a calendar year doesn’t necessarily make Covid go away and we’re assuming that Disney will continue to be conservative and cautious in how they reintroduce both meet and greets and the parties throughout next year. Again we’ll add new details on dates the second we hear things regarding any of the 50th Anniversary projects confirmed. Thanks for reading. 🙂
You must be logged in to post a comment.