Making some magic at home doesn’t really have to be that difficult! Sometimes something as easy as having the right cookie cutter or waffle maker can make all the difference when you feel like you want to step up your food game. We have recently been trying to use our Mickey Waffle Maker from Shop Disney as much as possible, all while being super conscious about what ingredients we are using during our stay at home and so our Cheesy Potato Savory Mickey Waffles with ham and spinach was born!
This post includes affiliate links to help fund our Disney travel and coffee addiction; which we share with you weekly. As an Amazon Associate, and affiliate publisher we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases and will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking the links.
I had shared a picture of these lovely little Mickey Waffles on our Instagram story last week and the inbox exploded with messages asking for a recipe. Since I am somewhat of a haphazard chef- and by that I mean I usually throw a bunch of stuff together and figure it out as I go; I took some time this weekend to test out this recipe for the best possible results.
I am still working since I am in healthcare and cooking and baking has been such a huge stress reliever for me; so hopefully I can find time to share more recipes with you guys on a regular basis as it is something that is really bringing me joy right now. And I love anything quick and easy at the moment too, and this recipe was just that. And the best part is that since these are savory Mickey Waffles, these are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Tips for Cheesy Potato Mickey Waffles
Anyway, so just to say a few things about these waffles. The most important thing is the base, which is simply potatoes and eggs. Anything else you’d like to add to these is really just preference or what you have on hand, so don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t have all of these ingredients. In this recipe, I’m using shredded hash brown potatoes for convenience, but if you don’t have them, you can just use a cooked potato and shred it for the same results. That’s what I did initially and it worked perfectly! The shredded hash browns will just save you this step, but like I said, I tried it both ways and they both worked just fine.
We added cooked ham, cheese and spinach; but maybe you don’t have those things or don’t like them. And that’s ok too! You can add bacon, onions, other veggies or even just keep them plain. And top them with whatever you like as well. We like green onions and so that’s what we used, but you could add more cheese, sour cream, bacon, the sky is really the limit with these savory Mickey Waffles so use what you have on hand and make them your own! And the best part is that since these are savory Mickey Waffles, these are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
One more thing I’d like to add is that I brushed melted butter on my waffle iron for these. Yes I am using a nonstick waffle iron here and buttering isn’t necessary; but adding the melted butter will give you a more crisp hashbrown texture and will also keep the waffles from being too dry on the outside.
Ok so onto the recipe! For this recipe here is what we used
- Shredded Hashbrown Potatoes
- Cooked Spinach
- Cooked Ham
- Green Onions or other toppings of choice
The equipment you’ll need:
- Waffle Maker – we like this one from Shop Disney but we also love this one but really any waffle maker will do!
- Medium Bowl
- Silicone Brush
This will make 9 waffles if you use the Shop Disney waffle maker and 3-4 larger waffles if you’re using the bigger Mickey waffle maker or a more traditional waffle maker.
Cheesy Potato Mickey Waffles with ham and spinach
- 2 cups shredded hashbrown potatoes or 3 medium potatoes cooked and shredded
- 3/4 cup cheese of choice
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cooked ham, diced
- 1/4 cooked spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 TBSP melted butter
- Green onions, chives, sour cream, bacon or any other toppings you'd like!
- Step 1 Heat Waffle Iron to medium heat
- Step 2 Using a paper towel or cheese cloth, soak excess water from shredded potatoes
- Step 3 Repeat for both the ham and the spinach, as these products will have excess water when mixed together
- Step 4 In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients except butter and toppings until well incorporated
- Step 5 Melt butter
- Step 6 Using silicone brush, brush melted butter onto waffle maker, covering as much of the cooking surface as possible
- Step 7 Scoop mixture into waffle maker, filling each compartment as completely as possible
- Step 8 Cook in waffle maker 5-10 mins or until golden brown
- Step 9 Top with toppings of choice. Enjoy!
So there you have it, a savory Mickey Waffle recipe! We hope you enjoy this and we hope you continue to find joy and make magic while staying at home!