Celebrating Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month at Disney World includes special events, character meet and greets, art installations, and New Snacks! We’re collecting everything happening for this extra magical month, called ” A World of Voices” at Disney World in this post. So if you’re ready to honor the colorful cultures of Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage then check out everything happening for this special month-long celebration.
Special Character Meet and Greets
A slew of favorite Disney characters honoring their own heritage for Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month include Moana, Russell from Pixar’s Up!, Raya, from Raya and the Last Dragon, Mulan, and Edna Mode from The Incredibles. Be sure to check out where you can find each of these characters in the month of May.
- Moana at Animal Kingom
- Russell and Dug at Animal Kingdom
- Raya in the Disney Adventure Friends Cavalcade at Magic Kingdom Park
- Mulan at the EPCOT China Pavilion
- Edna Mode at Pixar Place in Hollywood Studios
Highlighting the music of the South Pacific, Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month at Disney World includes performances from local groups, as well as Disney mainstays in the parks, playing and singing favorite songs.
At Disney Springs
Select days and evenings you can find the following groups on the stage at Disney Springs.
- DJ Pram featuring two Bollywood-style dancers: May 4, May 11, May 18 and May 25
- Lahjit, a Salt Lake City, Utah band that plays music from various genres: May 7 and May 8
- The Collective, a high-energy vocal group that celebrates boy bands and K-pop (short for Korean pop music) sensations from throughout history: May 14, May 15, May 28 and May 29
- NETANE Polynesian Productions, whose performances feature authentic Polynesian dances from the Pacific islands of Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa and more: May 21 and May 22
Available throughout the year, if you’re visiting in May be sure to stop by the EPCOT Japana Pavilion to hear the drummers, Matsuriza. A beautiful performance filled with power and rhythm.
At Animal Kingdom
Everyone’s favorite band on the Africa Stage is performing songs inspired by Moana throughout the month. Be sure to check out the Viva Gaia Street Band at Animal Kingdom on your next visit.
Disney Springs Art Walk
Head to Disney Springs to see the art installations across the center, perfect for an afternoon stroll, with a coffee in hand. Be sure to take note of the extremely talented artists. For Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month at Disney World, artists featured include Vietnamese-American artist Thao Huynh French and Cambodian-American artist Andrew Hem along with Eric Tan, Stacey Aoyama, and Leah Abucayan.
New Foods and Snacks at Disney World
Offered throughout May these specialty snacks bring the flavors of the islands to the forefront. With unique flavor combinations and classic favorites, like pad thai, here are all the snacks at Walt Disney World for Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Available May 1- 30, 2023.
Moana Cupcake | Captains Cooks, Kona Island, Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- Moana Cupcake: Vanilla cupcake, toasted coconut mousse filling, buttercream, coconut flakes, and white chocolate Moana piece with a fresh orchid
Hamachi Tuna Roll | Kona Cafe Disney’s Polynesian Resort
- Hamachi Tuna Roll: Hamachi tuna, avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, and ponzu
Pork Belly Noodle Bowl | Kona Cafe Disney’s Polynesian Resort
- Pork Belly Noodle Bowl: Bone broth, rice noodles, soy egg, mushrooms, bok choy, and hot sesame oil
Heart Of Te Fiti DOLE Whip Cup | Pineapple Lanai
- Heart Of Te Fiti DOLE Whip Cup: DOLE Whip, mochi cake, Moana-Inspired white chocolate medallion, and an edible flower (New)
How Far I’ll Go Haupia Pie | Art of Animation
- How Far I’ll Go Haupia Pie: Rich chocolate coconut pie with a layer of coconut Haupia custard topped with sweet cream and macadamia nuts.
Korean Fried Chicken Bowl with Cucumber Namasu | Select Resorts
Korean Fried Chicken Bowl with Cucumber Namasu: Double-fried chicken thighs tossed with gochujang sauce, sesame seeds, green onions, and pickled cucumber (New) (Available May 1 through 30)
- Capt. Cook’s at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- Centertown Market at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
- Contempo Cafe at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Gasparilla Island Grill at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
- Riverside Mill at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
Sesame Chicken Stir-fry | Select Resorts
Sesame Chicken Stir-fry: Chicken, broccoli, red pepper, and onion with jasmine rice Always available at the following.
- End Zone Food Court at Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort
- Premiere Food Court at Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort
- Intermission Food Court at Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
- Everything POP Shopping & Dining at Disney’s Pop Century Resort
- Landscape of Flavors at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
Pad Thai Fizz | Select Pool Bars and Restaurants
- Featuring Asian-American-owned Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey, this unique drink is inspired by the tangy flavors of traditional Pad Thai.
Kakigori | Caravan Road Animal Kingdom
- Kakigori: Japanese shaved ice dessert flavored with watermelon syrup and sweetened condensed milk
Chicken Dumplings | Mr. Kamals Animal Kingdom
These fried chicken dumplings make for an excellent savory snack at Animal Kingdom and is served year-round.
Bangkok Chicken Wings | Nomad Lounge Animal Kingdom
- Bangkok Chicken Wings: Crispy chicken wings, fish sauce caramel, peanuts, and cilantro (New)
Tuna Poke Bowl | Nomad Lounge Animal Kingdom
- Tuna Poke Bowl: Steamed rice, edamame, pickled radish, chili-sesame glaze
- Heavily influenced by Japanese and other Asian cuisines and poke represents diverse and multifaceted cultures.
Coconut Mango Cocktail | Nomad Lounge Animal Kingdom
- Coconut Mango Cocktail: Parrot Bay Coconut Rum, Stoli Vanilla Vodka, mango purée, and rice milk garnished with whole lychee fruit
- This cocktail is inspired by the exploration of the Pacific Islands, featuring popular ingredients offered to explorers along the way.
Turning Red Cupcake | Pizzafari, Restaurantosaurus Animal Kingdom
- Turning Red Cupcake: Vanilla cake, mandarin cream filling, honey mousse bao bun, crispy pearls, sweet magnolia blossoms, chocolate garnish, and the Asian-Canadian character Meilin panda on white chocolate medallion
Spicy Asian Chicken Sandwich Animal Kingdom
- Spicy Asian Chicken Sandwich: Crispy, pickled red onions (New)
Yuzu Crème Brulee | Tiffins Animal Kingdom
- Yuzu Crème Brulee: Ube ice cream, hibiscus cookie crumble, matcha tea cake, and mango sauce (New)
Singapore Sling | Thirsty River Bar, Dawa Bar, DinoLand USA Bars, Animal Kingdom
- Singapore Sling: New Amsterdam Gin, Heering Cherry Liqueur, sweet-and-sour, grenadine, and Sprite
Curry-spiced Pizza | Connections Cafe EPCOT
- Curry-spiced Pizza: Two slices of freshly baked pizza topped with tikka masala, carrot, potato, peas, tomato, plant-based mozzarella, and lime “yogurt” (Currently available through June 1)
General Tso Chicken Salad | Connections Cafe EPCOT
- General Tso Chicken Salad: Petite kale blend, romaine, broccoli slaw, red bell pepper, mandarin oranges, edamame, crispy wontons, warm fried chicken, General Tso’s dressing (Currently available)
Asian Cuisine | Sunshine Seasons EPCOT
- Mongolian Beef with vegetable fried rice
- Stir-fried Shrimp with honey-ginger sauce, seasonal vegetables, and cashews
- Vegetable Korma with plant-based chicken and cashews (Plant-based)
- Asian Vegetable Noodle Salad with wakame, tuna poke, and spicy mayonnaise
Char Siu Rice Bowl | Nine Dragons Restaurant EPCOT
- Char Siu Rice Bowl: Cantonese-style BBQ pork over vegetable egg fried rice (New)
Ozeki Pineapple Nigori Sake | Garden House EPCOT
- Ozeki Pineapple Nigori Sake: Unfiltered sake with pineapple (New)
- This Pineapple Nigori honors the Japanese settlers who came to the United States and worked on pineapple farms. The first Japanese community in Florida, the Yamato Colony, grew up around a pineapple field.
Japanese-Hawaiian Pineapple Nigori Cocktail | Teppan Edo EPCOT
- Japanese-Hawaiian Pineapple Nigori Cocktail: Pineapple juice, coconut cream, Nigori sake, and a dash of shochu (New)
- This Japanese-Hawaiian Cocktail celebrates some of the contributions of Japanese Americans to the culture, economy, and social fabric of Hawaii.
Golden Philadelphia Roll | Teppan Edo EPCOT
- Golden Philadelphia Roll: Salmon, cream cheese, salmon roe, capers, eel sauce, spicy mayonnaise, aonori, micro shiso, and pepper flakes (New)
Tofu or Chicken Teriyaki Bowl | Backlot Express Hollywood Studios
- Tofu or Chicken Teriyaki Bowl: Seasoned jasmine rice, teriyaki chicken or marinated tofu, yuzu-pickled edamame, carrots, cucumber, and onions drizzled with house-made lemon-tahini-chipotle vinaigrette, and sesame seeds (Plant-based version with tofu available)
Korean Barbecued Pork Belly Bowl | Fairfax Fare Hollywood Studios
- Korean Barbecued Pork Belly Bowl: Braised pork belly tossed in Korean Barbecue sauce topped with Korean Salad and green onions served on mashed potatoes in a waffle bowl.
Soba Noodle Bowl | Fairfax Fare Hollywood Studios
- Soba Noodle Bowl: Chilled soba noodles, edamame, red cabbage, red peppers, shredded carrots, celery, and green onions tossed in yakisoba sauce served in a waffle bowl (Plant-based) (Also available with chicken)
Pannie Connie’s Congo Lime Delight | Skipper Canteen Magic Kingdom
- Pannie Connie’s Congo Lime Delight: Lime ‘panna cotta’ served with mango-lime sorbet and fresh fruit (Plant-based)
- This dish is inspired by traditional desserts served in Vietnam.
Ube Pianono | Amorettes Patisserie Disney Springs
- Ube Pianono: Ube roulade cake filled with cinnamon banana mousse and an ube buttercream
- This treat was created by Pastry Culinary cast member Reuben, who drew inspiration from his Filipino heritage.
Korean Bulgogi Hot Dog | B.B. Wolf’s Sausage Co.
- Korean Bulgogi Hot Dog: Spicy Korean beef and pork hot dog, bulgogi steak, pickled vegetables
Changing Tides | The BOATHOUSE
- Changing Tides: Fever-Tree Sparkling Lime & Yuzu, a unique blend of zesty Mexican Tahitian lime, and floral sweetness of Japanese Yuzu
High-Voltage Chicken Sandwich | The Edison
- High-Voltage Chicken Sandwich: The Edison’s take on a spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich, made with gochujang, a staple of Korean cooking, as well as fried chicken breast, jalapeno lime crema, smoked bacon, frisée, tomato, and pickle
Matcha Yuzu Square | The Ganachery
- Matcha Yuzu Square: Japanese green tea and yuzu with dark chocolate
Frozen Mandarin Fusion | Joffrey’s Coffee & Tea Co.
- Frozen Mandarin Fusion: An exotic blend of refreshing iced tea, frozen lemon, and mandarin syrup topped with passion fruit popping boba (Spirited option available)
- Ripple Art featuring Moana and Mulan
“Bloomin” Japanese Mushroom Tempura | Morimoto Asia
- “Bloomin” Japanese Mushroom Tempura: Hon-Shimeji, Asian mushrooms with a nutty flavor coated in tempura batter and deep fried to golden brown perfection served alongside mashed potatoes and a Japanese golden curry cream sauce
Coconut Jerk Pork Sandwich | The Polite Pig
- Coconut Jerk Pork Sandwich: Smoked pork butt, braised in a coconut jerk sauce, and topped with a pineapple slaw accompanied by a Hawaiian macaroni salad
Poa Poa Shrimp Bowl | Splitsville Luxury Lanes
- Poa Poa Shrimp Bowl: Fresh jumbo shrimp lightly tossed in blackening seasoning sautéed to perfection on a bed of white rice, topped with a mixture of grilled fresh pineapple, yellow, red, and green bell peppers, and red onion, drizzled with an in-house kimchee ponzu sauce, and finished with fresh Asian slaw and sesame seeds
Ly-chee Martini | Splitsville Luxury Lanes
- Ly-chee Martini: Ocean Hawaiian Vodka, lychee syrup, and house-squeezed fresh lemon juice garnished with a fresh flower, lychee, and boba pearls
Vietnamese Coffee Cupcake | Sprinkles Cupcake
- Vietnamese Coffee Cupcake featuring a decadent coffee cake infused with Nguyen Coffee Supply’s Loyalty Blend, filled with creamy condensed milk buttercream and finished with coffee frosting. (Available through May 14)
- Nguyen Coffee Supply is America’s first specialty Vietnamese coffee company and proud champion of the resilient Robusta bean. Founded in 2018 by Sahra Nguyen, their mission is to build a diverse and inclusive coffee culture for all while uplifting robust coffee producers worldwide.
Mango Boba Lemonade | Wetzel’s Pretzels
- Mango Boba Lemonade: Popping mango boba topped with either signature fresh lemonade or frozen lemonade, and mango purée (Non-alcoholic)
Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month at Disney World
There you have it! All the happenings at Walt Disney World in May for Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month. If you’re visiting be sure to take a break and experience this culture. It’s colorful, fun, and filled with meaning. Enjoy!