With the Fall season in full swing, we tend to take things a bit slower. This weekend the temps are in the low 50s and we are loving sipping on our favorite hot cocoas, wrapping ourselves in a cozy blanket and plan our next movie night. Always looking for any reason we can to bake all the treats and watch our favorite Semi-Spooky movies, Haunted Mansion seemed to be the perfect not so scary movie for this weekend’s agenda.
This post includes affiliate links to help fund our Disney travel and coffee addiction; which we share with you weekly. As an Amazon Associate, and affiliate publisher we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases and will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking the links.
Disclaimer: By purchasing the items through the links in this post, we may make a small commission, at no extra cost to you.
Haunted Mansion is our favorite ride at Walt Disney World and Disneyland, so we love that this movie night was able to be tied into our favorite Disney attractions too. I think at this point it’s pretty obvious how much we love this attraction, since our mantle is decked out in Haunted Mansion décor too. But, hey, tis the season, right?!
We recently sailed on the Halloween on the High Seas cruise with Disney Cruise Line so we were feeling a bit inspired for all things Halloween. I had seen meringue ghosts at Cove Café when we were there and I knew I wanted to incorporate those into some type of treat. Haunted Mansion was playing on Funnel Vision by the pool during our Halloween cruise and I was itching to get back and start creating up all types of fun treats.
Haunted Mansion Graveyard Dirt Cups for Haunted Mansion Movie Night
Haunted Mansion is all about ghosts, so seemed like the perfect fit! We decided these little ghosts would be perfect to add to a fun Haunted Mansion Graveyard scene and what better way to create a graveyard than with dirt cups?!
Dirt cups are one of our favorite treats any time of year because, well chocolate. And oreos. And let’s face it, they bring us right back to our childhood. With chocolate pudding, whipped cream and crushed oreos, we love how easy these are to whip up and that even little ones can help!
Meringue ghosts are super easy to make and with a little bit of patience and just a few ingredients, these sweet little treats are the perfect addition to any spooky treat. They’re also pretty fun to eat by themselves, so feel free to make extras You can find the recipe below.
What kind of graveyard would this be without graves? We found the perfect little silicone grave molds at JoAnn Fabrics. We chose white and blue melting chocolates for these and added a small amount of black food coloring to the white to give it a slightly gray, marble stone look. When you’re pouring the melted chocolate, don’t worry about it being too perfect. We actually loved the look of the gravestones being very imperfect and thought it gave an aged, slightly spooky look.
Heres’s what you’ll need for the Graveyard Dirt Cups
- Chocolate Pudding
- Whipped Cream
- Small Plastic dessert cups or dishes with a wide mouth
- White and Blue melting chocolates, or whatever color you want to make your graves
For the Meringues
- Eggs whites
- Cream of Tartar
- Black decorating gel, decorating marker or dark chocolate for faces
- Mixer, we have this one and use the whisk attachment
You can find the recipes below!
Madame Leota’s Sparkling Limeade
Madame Leota is one of our favorite characters in Haunted Mansion, so we knew we had to create a treat dedicated just to her. And what better way to create a spooky Halloween drink than with a bit of slightly mad science?! And that’s where Butterfly Pea Flower comes into this equation.
Butterfly Pea Flower Tea has a unique chemical in it, that, when mixed with acid like lime or lemon, it changes from a beautiful blue to purple! It’s such a fun thing to watch, and due to the difference in liquid densities, it will often separate and stay floating at the top of the glass. You can make a lot of really beautiful and fun creations with this flower tea; trust me when I say I may have fallen down the rabbit hole researching fun recipes using this tea on Pinterest. Oops. My bad.
This limeade is super easy to make and takes just a few minutes. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Lime Juice, we fresh squeezed ours, but the stuff from the bottle is just as good
- Sparkling Water
- Butterfly Pea Flower
- Cotton Candy
- Green food coloring, if desired
- Tall Glass, we like these ones
- Glass Pitcher
You can find the full recipe below!
Coffin Pizza Pies
Who doesn’t love pizza for movie night?! Pizza is pretty much our go to “fun” food and since we don’t really ever eat out except at Disney, we always love coming up with new recipes to try at home. This is a bit different take on a traditional pizza in that is uses pie crust, but we thought these were delicious and the perfect savory addition to our Haunted Mansion movie night.
The fun thing about these is that you can come up with whatever spooky shape your heart desires. We chose coffins, because we had small dishes shaped like coffins. Plus it reminded us of the Mausoleum scene in the movie, so it was perfect for our little hand held pizzas. You could also create mummies, gravestones, heck even pumpkins would be just darling. Let your creativity run wild! However you choose to assemble these, the big thing to remember is that you’ll want to make sure it’s fully sealed so the toppings don’t fall out. Use a fork to crimp your edges and a tiny bit of water to get a good seal.
For the toppings, choose anything you’d like! We went with a white sauce, fresh mozzarella and basil. For some reason at the time, that seemed spooky to us, but regardless of it’s spooky nature or not, it was delicious.
What you’ll need for the Pizza Pies
- Pie Crust
- Toppings of your choice
- Coffin Shaped baking dish(this one is similar to ours), or cookie cutter of your choice
We used Pillsbury premade, rolled pie crust for our pizza pies and one crust, rolled slightly thinner, was enough for two single serving pizza pies. Add in the toppings, bake and enjoy!
You can find all of the recipes below. Feel free to put your own twist on these and tag us on Instagram if you make them!We’d love to see your see your creations. Happy Haunting!
- 1 c. sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- pink of salt
- black gel decorating pen or food marker
- Step 1 Heat oven to 225 F
- Step 2 In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, add egg whites, cream of tartar and salt.
- Step 3 Whisk on high and slowly add sugar in a little at a time.
- Step 4 Beat mixture until stiff peaks form and meringue becomes shiny.
- Step 5 Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil with cooking spray.
- Step 6 Using a piping bag, slowly pipe small peaks in the shape of ghosts.
- Step 7 Bake meringues for 1 hour and allow to slowly cool before decorating.
- Step 8 Once cooled, make faces on front of ghosts.
- Step 9 Enjoy!
Graveyard Dirt Cups
- 1 6 oz box Chocolate Pudding mix
- 3 c. milk, as according to instructions on pudding box
- 10-12 oreos
- Whipped Cream
- Small dessert cups
- Meringue ghosts
- White chocolate gravestones
- Step 1 Using a food processor, crush oreos
- Step 2 If you don’t have a food processor, place oreos in a Ziploc bag and crush using a rolling pin
- Step 3 Make Chocolate Pudding according to instructions
- Step 4 Take half of the pudding and mix with whipped cream
- Step 5 Pour chocolate pudding into dish, filling about 1/3 of the glass
- Step 6 Pour Whipped Cream/Pudding mixture on top of pudding, filling cup 2/3 of the way
- Step 7 Top with crushed oreos
- Step 8 Add meringue Ghosts and White Chocolate gravestones
- Step 9 Enjoy!
Madame Leota's Sparkling Limeade
- 1/4 c. Butterfly Pea Flowers
- 4. cup water
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 c. sparkling water
- Cotton Candy, optional
- Step 1 Steep butter fly flower in 8 oz water for 5-8 mins
- Step 2 chill
- Step 3 In a pitcher, add water, sugar, lime juice and sparkling water and stir.
- Step 4 Once your Butterfly Pea Flower Tea is chilled, add ice to a glass and pour in limeade, about 2/3 of the way full
- Step 5 Pour Butterfly Pea Flower Tea over the limeade
- Step 6 Top with Cotton Candy if desired
- Step 7 Enjoy!