With the Fall season in full swing, we tend to take things a bit slower. This weekend the temps are in the low 50s and we are loving sipping on our favorite hot cocoas, wrapping ourselves in a cozy blanket and plan our next movie night. Always looking for any reason we can to bake all the treats and watch our favorite Semi-Spooky movies, Haunted Mansion seemed to be the perfect not so scary movie for this weekend’s agenda.
This post includes affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases and will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking the links.
Disney’s Haunted Mansion Movie Night
Haunted Mansion is our favorite ride at Walt Disney World and Disneyland. And just couldn’t help creating a movie night to match our favorite rides and Disney Halloween films. And if you need a little more Haunted Mansion in your household, check out our Disney DIY, a mantle decked out in Haunted Mansion décor. But, hey, tis the season, right?!
Our Disney Halloween Ideas Come From the Best Places!
We recently sailed on the Halloween on the High Seas cruise with Disney Cruise Line so we were feeling a bit inspired for all things Halloween. We had seen meringue ghosts at Cove Café and just knew we wanted to incorporate those into some type of treat. Haunted Mansion was playing on Funnel Vision by the pool during our Halloween cruise which was probably also to blame. As a result we were itching to get back to create all types of fun treats for the Halloween season.
Haunted Mansion Graveyard Dirt Cups
Haunted Mansion is all about ghosts, so these little ghost meringue cups seemed like the perfect fit for a Haunted Mansion Movie Night! What better way to create a graveyard than with dirt cups?! Dirt cups are one of our favorite treats any time of year because, well chocolate. And oreos. And let’s face it, they bring us right back to our childhood. With chocolate pudding, whipped cream and crushed oreos, we love how easy these are to whip up and that even little ones can help!
Heres’s what you’ll need for the Graveyard Dirt Cups
- Chocolate Pudding
- Whipped Cream
- Small Plastic dessert cups or dishes with a wide mouth
- White and Blue melting chocolates, or whatever color you want to make your graves
Graveyard Dirt Cups
- 10 oreos, crushed
- 2 boxes chocolate pudding
- Whipped Cream or cool whip
- Small dessert cups
- Step 1 Prepare chocolate pudding according to instructions on box.
- Step 2 Set aside half of pudding
- Step 3 mix other half with whipped cream..
- Step 4 In dessert cups, layer chocolate pudding mixture with chocolate pudding and oreos.
- Step 5 Top with oreos, white chocolate graves and ghost meringues.
Haunted Mansion Meringue Ghosts
Meringue ghosts are super easy to make and with a little bit of patience and just a few ingredients, these sweet little treats are the perfect addition to any spooky treat. They’re also pretty fun to eat by themselves, so feel free to make extras You can find the recipe below.
For the Meringues
- Eggs whites
- Cream of Tartar
- Black decorating gel, decorating marker or dark chocolate for faces
- Mixer, we have this one and use the whisk attachment
You can find the recipe below!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Piping bag
- Black icing or food marker
- Step 1 Prehat oven to 200 degrees F
- Step 2 Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Step 3 In the large bowl of a mixer with a whisk attachment, add egg whites and cream of tartar. Whisk on medium
- Step 4 Once egg whites begin to froth, add vanilla and slowly add sugar
- Step 5 Whisk until medium-stuff peaks have formed
- Step 6 Using a piping bag, pipe little ghosts onto pan at least 1 inch between each ghost
- Step 7 Bake for 1 hour at 200 degrees
- Step 8 after 1 hour turn off oven, but keep meringues in oven for an additional 1-2 hours to allow them to dry out. Meringues will be ready once they’re easily lifted from baking sheet
- Step 9 Once cooled, pipe black icing to make faces on ghosts
- Step 10 Let dry
- Step 11 Enjoy!
Graveyard Chocolates for Halloween
What kind of graveyard would this be without graves? We found the perfect little silicone grave molds at JoAnn Fabrics. We chose white and blue melting chocolates for these and added a small amount of black food coloring to the white to give it a slightly gray, marble stone look. When you’re pouring the melted chocolate, don’t worry about it being too perfect. We actually loved the look of the gravestones being very imperfect and thought it gave an aged, slightly spooky look.
Madame Leota’s Sparkling Limeade
Madame Leota is one of our favorite characters in Haunted Mansion, so we knew we had to create a treat dedicated just to her. And what better way to create a spooky Halloween drink than with a bit of slightly mad science?! And that’s where Butterfly Pea Flower comes into this equation.
Butterfly Pea Flower Tea has a unique chemical in it, that, when mixed with acid like lime or lemon, it changes from a beautiful blue to purple! It’s such a fun thing to watch, and due to the difference in liquid densities, it will often separate and stay floating at the top of the glass. You can make a lot of really beautiful and fun creations with this flower tea; trust me when I say I may have fallen down the rabbit hole researching fun recipes using this tea on Pinterest. Oops. My bad.
This limeade is super easy to make and takes just a few minutes. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Lime Juice, we fresh squeezed ours, but the stuff from the bottle is just as good
- Sparkling Water
- Butterfly Pea Flower
- Cotton Candy
- Green food coloring, if desired
- Tall Glass, we like these ones
- Glass Pitcher
You can find the full recipe below!
Madame Leota Limeade
- 1/2 c. lime juice
- 1/2 c. + 1 TBSP sugar
- 2 quarts water
- Cotton Candy
- 1.5 tsp Butterfly Pea Flower
- 1 c. Boiling Water to brew Butterfly Pea Flower
- Step 1 Boil 1 c. water and steep butterfly pea flower for 5 mins
- Step 2 Once brewed, set aside to chill
- Step 3 In 2 quart pitcher, combine lime juice, sugar and water. Stir.
- Step 4 Fill glass with ice
- Step 5 pour limeade over ice.
- Step 6 Slowly pour small amount of Butterfly Pea Flower tea in limeade glass
- Step 7 Add cotton candy and voila!
- Step 8 For an extra kick, add sparkling water to limeade before adding the tea .
Spooky Coffin Halloween Pizza Pies
Who doesn’t love pizza for movie night?! Pizza is pretty much our go to “fun” food and since we don’t really ever eat out except at Disney, we always love coming up with new recipes to try at home. This is a bit different take on a traditional pizza in that is uses pie crust, but we thought these were delicious and the perfect savory addition to our Haunted Mansion movie night.
The fun thing about these is that you can come up with whatever spooky shape your heart desires. We chose coffins, because we had small dishes shaped like coffins. Plus it reminded us of the Mausoleum scene in the movie, so it was perfect for our little hand held pizzas. You could also create mummies, gravestones, heck even pumpkins would be just darling. Let your creativity run wild! However you choose to assemble these, the big thing to remember is that you’ll want to make sure it’s fully sealed so the toppings don’t fall out. Use a fork to crimp your edges and a tiny bit of water to get a good seal.
For the toppings, choose anything you’d like! We went with a white sauce, fresh mozzarella and basil. For some reason at the time, that seemed spooky to us, but regardless of it’s spooky nature or not, it was delicious.
What you’ll need for the Pizza Pies
- Pie Crust
- Toppings of your choice
- Coffin Shaped baking dish or cookie cutter of your choice
We used Pillsbury premade, rolled pie crust for our pizza pies and one crust, rolled slightly thinner, was enough for two single serving pizza pies. Add in the toppings, bake and enjoy!
Disney Halloween Movie Night
You can find all of the recipes below. Feel free to put your own twist on these and tag us on Instagram if you make them!We’d love to see your see your creations. Happy Haunting!