It’s time for Mardi Gras again and that means time for Man Catchin’ Beignets! This year we decided to spice things up and not only make Beignets, but make them filled with Nutella and create a crazy shake to go along with them. And what makes them taste even better? Being Mickey Shaped of course! So here we bring to you today The Mickey Beignet Mardi Gras Milkshake!
If you’ve been following us on Instagram for any amount of time, then you’ll know we love making beignets every year for Fat Tuesday. We recently tried a Nutella filled beignet from Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie in Epcot and it was completely life changing, so we knew our next batch of beignets had to be filled with this Hazelnutty goodness. And because we wanted them filled, we knew that they’d need to be a bit fluffier than usual.
We started with a new Beignet recipe and you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Warm water around 100 degrees F
- Active Dry Yeast
- Evaporated milk
- 1 Egg
- Vanilla Extract
- Canola Oil
- Powdered Sugar
- Mickey Mouse cookie cutter
- Piping Bag
- Icing Tip
You can find the recipe for these Mickey Beignets down below
For the King Cake Milkshake you will need:
- Blue Bell King Cake Ice Cream
- Milk, or any alternative milk
- Vanilla Simple Syrup
- Small Blender
- White Chocolate
- Piping Bags
If you can’t locate King Cake Ice Cream, you can always substitute it for a plain vanilla milkshake and add Cinnamon Syrup for that King Cake Flavor or you just use whatever flavor you’d like for the milkshakes. The possibilities are really quite endless.
A few simple tips before we get started with the recipe. The beignets will be best the day you make them. We prefer them hot and fresh but it will be more difficult to fill them when they’re super hot. Let them cool just a bit before adding the Nutella. And you’ll definitely want to use an icing tip to fill your beignets.
When piping the white chocolate on the inside and outside of your mug, you’ll want to freeze the glass after the white chocolate has been piped to avoid the chocolate from melting or dripping while you’re getting the Milkshake ready.
We hope you love these Mickey Beignet Mardi Gras Milkshake and have fun adding them to your Fat Tuesday celebrations!
Nutella Filled Mickey Beignet
- 3/4 c. warm water, about 100 degrees F
- 1 packet (.25 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1/2 c. evaporated milk
- 1/3 c. sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 - 3 c. all purpose flour, plus additional 1-2 c. flour to rolling out dough
- 3 TBSP melted butter
- Canola oil, Vegetable oil or any neutral oil for frying
- Powdered Sugar for dusting
- Nutella for filling, if desired
- Step 1 1. In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine warm water and yeast. Let sit for 5-10 mins until mixture becomes bubbly
- Step 2 2.Lightly whisk evaporated milk, sugar, salt, egg, and vanilla extract. Add to yeast mixture
- Step 3 3.Mix in 2 c. flour and mix until well incorporated.
- Step 4 4. Add melted butter until dough is sticky and smooth. Add additional flour if needed
- Step 5 5. Turn dough on lightly floured surface and knead about 2 mins. Place dough in greased bowl, turning once to coat dough.
- Step 6 6. Cover loosely with a clean cloth and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 2 hours until doubled.
- Step 7 7. Punch down dough. Remove dough from bowl and roll out dough on floured surface, about 1/3 inch thick
- Step 8 8. Using Mickey cookie cutter, cut out beignets and let rest for 5-10 mins.
- Step 9 9. While beignets are resting, heat up oil at medium high heat in stockpot or deep frying pan.
- Step 10 10. Add beignets, a couple at a time to hot oil, and turn once as beignets become golden brown and fluffy.
- Step 11 11. Remove beignets from oil once finished and lest rest a minute before dusting with powdered sugar
- Step 12 12. Eat hot or let cool to add Nutella
- Step 13 13. If adding Nutella, once beignets have cooled to room temperature, use piping bag with icing tip to pierce beignet in the center and slowly pipe Nutella into Beignet.
- Step 14 14. Enjoy!
King Cake Milkshake