One of our favorite parts of any Disney vacation is finding out about Disney secrets. Nothing is better than feeling like an insider among the crowds, especially if you’re a first-timer and a little unsure of how everything works. We know its overwhelming. But we also know that if you just go with the flow you will find yourself lost in the magic. And much less concerned with your itinerary. Here are some tips for finding Hidden Mickeys at Walt Disney World.
Why Look for Hidden Mickeys at Disney?
Insiders know that you always visit the purple wall, that you can stop in the Harmony Barber Shop anytime in Magic Kingdom for a free sprinkling of pixie dust, and that if you want a better view of the Hollywood Studio fireworks, you go to Epcot to see them from the Boardwalk. Insiders also know that searching for Hidden Mickeys is the best way to decompress, connect with Disney cast members and learn even more insider tips. So take some time on your next vacation to look up and look around. You’ll be sure to see Hidden Mickeys everywhere! The one above can be found between Starbucks and DisneyStyle in Disney Springs.
Where can you find Hidden Mickeys?
You can find Hidden Mickeys everywhere. And with each new ride or land, they add even more. An inside joke among Disney Imagineers, Hidden mickeys- either the mickey head or full body – are concealed in the designs of rides, waitlines, pictures, buildings, signage, everywhere. That said, they are always noticeably a mickey… if you have to strain your eyes, tilt your head, or admit it “kinda” looks like a hidden mickey, then it’s not. If you’re looking for a list or want to “submit” a new hidden mickey you find check out the Hidden Mickey Guide site. The Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway ride at Hollywood Studios will have more hidden mickeys than any other ride! So be on the lookout. The above picture of the hidden mickey in the fish pond drain is located in Epcot, Japan.
How do you find Hidden Mickeys?
There are a few things you need to have in order to make the most of your Hidden Mickey Hunt.
- Family or friends to help you notice them
- Awareness: Hidden Mickeys are hidden everywhere, but here are a few places we find them
- on buildings
- on fountains, signs, and fake doors
- in a ride queue… so if you miss out on a fast pass, don’t worry the regular ride queues will have hidden mickeys you can find while you wait.
- in gift shops
- in a ride! Yep, in the Gran Fiesta Boat Tour ride in Epcot, you can see bubbles on a tv screen that look like Mickey. And in Soarin, the hot air balloons and fireworks at the end of the ride make a mickey head shape. He is everywhere!
- Something to help you keep track: While you don’t need a pen and paper it’s good to see your progress. Check out our favorite tool- the app below.
The Hidden Mickeys App
While we are pretty good at finding mickeys on our own, we love love, love the Hidden Mickeys App, the companion to the book you can grab here. The app lets you log in and saves your progress as you find each hidden mickey. It also gives you hints along the way. It has sections for pretty much everywhere, even the newest places. And since it’s an app you can buy updates as Disney adds another ride or land.
Hidden Mickeys in Each Disney Park
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad : While you’re on the ride, right as it begins to slow down at the end, but before you enter the station, check out the large gears laying on the ground among the equipment.
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin : In the section with Star Command, find the Planets of the Galactic Alliance find the planet in Sector 1. Here you’ll see a Mickey-shaped landform.
- Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress: In the last scene check out the hidden Mickeys in the ornaments, nutcracker and as a plush under the tree too!
Hidden Mickeys in Magic Kingdom Frontierland
This rope Hidden Mickey is found in the Frontierland Gift Shop at Magic Kingdom. You can see a similar rope Mickey at the Beach Club’s giftshop made from sailor rope.
The Rockwork in the wait Line, Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, Magic Kingdom
We find the most hidden mickeys in wait lines. This is one of many in the wait line for Ariel’s ride at WDW.
Gaston Fountain in Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom
Another fairly clear Mickey mouse etched into the stone at the bottom of the Gaston Fountain in Fantasyland- across from the Beauty and the Beast Gift Shop.
- Soarin’ Around the World : As you head over Utah’s Monument Valley, catch a glimpse of three floating hot air balloons to the right that form that familiar Mickey head shape. And again you’ll see Mickey in the Fireworks at the end too.
- Canada Pavilion: Check out the totems carved by Tsimshian artisan David Boxley. Near the topmost carving you can see a hidden Mickey if you look closely!
- Spaceship Earth : On your journey through the ages, check out the Renaissance section. Just past the first painter on the tabletop, you’ll see a Mickey stain where paint cans once were.
Gran Fiesta Boat Tour of the Three Caballeros, Mexico, Epcot
Look to the left while on the Gran Fiesta Tour. There are actually quite a few Mickeys’s on this ride. On Donald’s boat below is a more noticeable one formed by three drums with white tops.
Living with the Land Hidden Mickeys at Future World, Epcot
Another ride experience with many many hidden mickeys, the living with the land boat tour brings you past greenery in the shape of mickey’s head, past a wire mickey head in the fish tanks, and past the lab below, sporting a mickey head made with test tubes.
- Star Tours The Adventures Continue : When you approach your Starspeeder boarding gate, keep an eye out for a droid with Mickey Ears as you zoom in for the landing.
- Muppet*Vision 3D: While waiting in the lobby, during the pre-show, take a look at the “test pattern” shown on the television and you’ll find Mickey in the pattern.
- Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster: Take a look at the Recording Studio. In front of the guitar stand on the right side of the room find the wire coiled into the shape of a Hidden Mickey.
- Hidden Mickey Rock in the duck grotto found on the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail
- Kilimanjaro Safaris : As you drive past the Flamingos take a look at the shape of their island!
- Conservation Station : So many Hidden Mickey’s here! Check out the entrance mural to find Mickey in the painting. There’s even one with butterfly wings. Look around!
- Tree of Life: Mickey on the Tree of Life? Yes! You bet. Not as a carving, but as a moss formation. This can be found to the left of the buffalo carving on the tree.
Hidden Mickeys at Walt Disney World Resorts
On every trip, we look for Hidden Mickey’s. It’s one of our favorite fun-free Disney Games and we find them everywhere! Even when we’re not really looking.
Kona Café Service Counter, The Polynesian Resort and Villas
Hidden Mickey in counter mosaic work. Just look down when you’re grabbing your coffee or treat for the day and there it is.
The Foyer, Second Floor, The Polynesian Resort and Villas
This view is seen from in front of the Kona Grill, where the hanging lanterns make a very noticeable hidden mickey.
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa Lobby
There are hidden mickeys everywhere at the Grand Floridian! And the carpet is no exception. Be sure to look down, you will find so many.
The Yacht Club Resort and Spa Lobby | Disney Boardwalk Resort
Yacht Club on the Disney Boardwalk Water Cooler
A Classic Hidden Mickey we see a many of the resort water cooler stations. We love these little attentions to details. Even if these mickeys are only temporary.
The gift shop at the Polynesian Resort and Villas
On the back of a statue located in the gift shop on the first floor at The Polynesian, the classic moana swirls create a noticeable hidden mickey.
Hidden Mickey at the Polynesian Resort on the Floor
You can actually see this hidden mickey while standing on the floor near the water fountain in the middle of the lobby at Disney’s Polynesian Resort. You can also see it from the balcony above. Very cool! And its so big, you often walk right over it!
Painting in Coronado Springs Gran Destino Tower
You can find this gorgeous painting right off the lobby, down the hallway, when you’re heading back towards the gift shop. What we love about Coronado Springs Gran Destino Tower is that you can find hints of the Mickey and the Three Caballeros all throughout the resort! Take time to explore!
Hidden Mickeys at Walt Disney World at Christmas
Just like any time of year, you can find Hidden Mickeys across the parks and resorts even at Christmas. But, at Disney’s Beach Club Resort, you get a special treat for the holidays. Complete with 50 Hidden Mickeys on the Beach Club Christmas Carousel, you can easily find yourself staring at this rotating Gingerbread Carousel display for a while! Check out the small gold Mickeys and any others you can find and tally them all.
Hidden Mickeys at Walt Disney World
No matter what your Disney day looks like it’s always good to stop and find a hidden mickey. It will remind you that magic is all around. It’s also a great way to keep kids and teens at the moment and their minds off of social media or another treat. You will find once you start noticing hidden mickey’s you find them everywhere. Do you hunt down Hidden Mickeys when you visit the parks? Check out our Hidden Pascal finds and the other Disney Games you can play to save money at Disney and still have loads of fun!