Disney’ss Festival of the Arts is here! And since we aren’t able to make our annual trip down to experience the festival, we wanted to recreate some of its goodness from home. As part of our Festival of the Arts At Home series, we created the Pop’t Art, which is available at Pop Eats at the festival. This has been at the Festival of the Arts since its inaugural year, and we love that it’s super simple and fun.
Festival of the Arts Pop Tart Recipe Copycat Pop’s Art
The Pop’t Art at the Festival of the Arts is a strawberry-filled pop tart , with vanilla icing and usually some sort of abstract design on the outside. It’s pretty simple, but it’s very kid-friendly, and really easy to recreate at home.
What do you need to make the Festival of Arts Copycat Pop’t Art?
The best part about this copycat recipe is that it’s not only really easy to make, but it only takes a few ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need the Pop’t Art copycat recipe.
- 1 roll or one batch of Sugar Cookie dough or rolled pie crust if you prefer.
- Strawberry Jam
- Powdered Sugar
- Milk or Choice
- Food coloring
How to make Festival of the Arts Pop’t Art
If you’ve ever read one of our other Pop Tart recipes, then you’ll know the method is pretty much the same. In this recipe though, we are using sugar cookie dough instead of pie crust.
Roll out the cookie dough, slightly thinner than you normally would. Then cut the dough in pairs, one for the top and one for the bottom. You’ll want to poke holes on the tops. You can use whatever shape you want here using a cookie cutter or just using a knife. I stuck with a standard 6″ x 4″ rectangle because I wanted to keep the look true to the Festival of the Arts cookie.
Make the jam mixture, spread evenly onto bottoms. Cover with tops, crimp edges, and bake! Once they come out of the oven, let them cool and decorate. We decided to try to match the “artistic” decoration on the top and chose a few colors that match this year’s color scheme. You can always decorate them however you want or even use a different type of icing if you prefer.
These are super easy and if you’re not a fan of the sugar cookie base, we’ve also used pie crust before using the same method. The pie crust will give you a flakier, more “pop tart” taste, whereas the Cookie base is more true to the Festival of the Arts version.
For the full recipe, see directly below
Festival of the Arts Pop't Art Copycat Recipe
- 1 package or 1 recipe sugar cookie dough
- 1/2 c. strawberry jam
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk of choice
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 F
- Step 2 Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Step 3 On floured surface, roll out dough thinly
- Step 4 Using template or cookie cutter, cut dough into rectangles or desired shape
- Step 5 Take half of cut outs and place on baking sheet
- Step 6 Prepare Jam mixture by heating jam on medium heat.
- Step 7 Mix cornstarch and water and set aside.
- Step 8 Once jam has started to thin, add cornstarch mixture and allow jam to come to slow boil. Remove from heat.
- Step 9 Let jam cool slightly and spread onto bottoms of poptart
- Step 10 Poke holes in remaining dough shapes and place on top.
- Step 11 Using fork, crimp edges and secure poptart together.
- Step 12 Place in oven for 10-15 mins or until slightly golden.
- Step 13 Once poptarts have cooled, mix together powdered sugar to desired consistency to make icing.
- Step 14 Spread thin layer of icing on poptart and let dry.
- Step 15 Mix remaining icing with desired colors and either using a spoon or piping bag, drizzle over top.
- Step 16 Enjoy!
Celebrating Festival of the Arts at Home
We understand if you’re missing the Festival of the Arts this year, we are too! But while we are all at home a bit more, we hope this post helps you recreate a bit of the festival magic at home. Stay tuned for more Festival of the Arts at home ideas.